Understanding Newton's Laws in Non-Inertial Reference Frames

In summary, the general theory of relativity states that acceleration is equivalent to a gravity field and that objects obey Newton's Laws in all reference frames, including non-inertial ones. However, in a car accelerating from a traffic light, objects appear to change their motion without an applied force. This is because they are either free-falling or being held by the matter of the car, which applies a force. This concept can be further explained by considering the frictional force acting on objects in the car.
pkc111
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain things simply to me (sorry, I am a high school science teacher and not really into the high level maths side of things).

I would like to ask if the General Theory of Relativity says anything about objects obeying Newtons Laws in non-inertial reference frames. A lot of the sources I've come across say that it confirms that Newtons Laws are obeyed in ALL reference frames - including non-inertial ones -hence its name "General" theory of relativity.

But I don't get how the laws are obeyed in a car accelerating from a traffic light- where objects appear to change their motion without an applied force.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The general theory of relativity is based on the equivalence principle that says that acceleration is equivalent to a gravity field. If, for this discussion, we ignore Earth gravity, an accelerating car can be considered stationary in a constant uniform gravity field. Everything outside the car is free-falling in this gravity field and constantly accelerating backwards. Things inside the car are either free-falling in it, or held by the matter of the car that applies a force equals to m*a on them.

You can read about general relativity here:

http://www.polarhome.com:763/~rafimoor/english/GRE.htm

The article is informal and does not use higher mathematics.

Regards
Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
pkc111 said:
Hi,

But I don't get how the laws are obeyed in a car accelerating from a traffic light- where objects appear to change their motion without an applied force.

Thanks.

They do have a force - its the frictional force - If you put your briefcase on the car seat and accelerate your car - the briefcase also gets accelerated because it is pushed by the friction of the seat or becasue it contacts the backrest - try putting some wheels or bearings on your lose items in the car and accelerate - they want to stay at rest so they slide backward when you accelerate forward - when you are stopping, they slide forward. Things at rest stay at rest unless acted upon by some force.

What is the General Theory?

The General Theory, also known as the General Theory of Relativity, is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It is a theory of gravity that explains the laws of motion for objects in the universe.

What is the difference between the General Theory and the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity, also developed by Einstein, deals with the laws of motion for objects that are not accelerating. The General Theory expands upon this by including the effects of gravity, which is a force that causes objects to accelerate.

How does the General Theory explain the curvature of spacetime?

The General Theory states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. This curvature causes objects to follow paths that we perceive as gravitational attraction.

What are the implications of the General Theory?

The General Theory has many implications in the fields of physics and astronomy. It has helped us understand the behavior of objects in the universe, including the orbits of planets and the bending of light around massive objects. It has also had practical applications, such as in GPS technology.

Is the General Theory considered a proven theory?

The General Theory has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the behavior of objects in the universe. However, like all scientific theories, it is always subject to further testing and refinement. It is currently the most widely accepted explanation of gravity and has not been disproven by any experiments.