Calculating Curvature at Point P on f(t) in [0;2] for t=(0,1)

In summary, when given a parametric curve, you can calculate the curvature by subsituting 2x=0 into the equation for curvature.
teng125
Find the curvature at the point P:

f : [0;2] IR^2 , f (t) = 2t,4 −2t^3 , P(2,2)

i subs 2x=0 then x=0 and 2y=2 then y=1

t=(0,1)

then i perform the curvature calculation.however,i'm confuse that in this case i have to subs t=1 to get a value instead of zero.
If the value t=(2 ,3) or others, which one should i choose??

Physics news on Phys.org
teng125 said:
Find the curvature at the point P:

f : [0;2] IR^2 , f (t) = 2t,4 −2t^3 , P(2,2)

i subs 2x=0 then x=0 and 2y=2 then y=1
Why substitute 2x= 0? Since x= 2 at P, you should have
x= 2t= 2 so t= 1. Unfortunately, if t= 1 then y= 4 -2(2)3= 4- 16= -12, not 2. Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? (2,2) is not on the curve f(t)= (2t, 4- 2t3)!

t=(0,1)
What does this mean? t is number, not an interval or a set.

then i perform the curvature calculation.however,i'm confuse that in this case i have to subs t=1 to get a value instead of zero.
If the value t=(2 ,3) or others, which one should i choose??
Again, I don't know what you mean by "t= (2, 3)". As I said before, this problem is stated incorrectly. The point (2,2) is not on the curve f(t)= (2t, 4- 2t3).

but the problem stated P(2,2)

HallsofIvy said:
Why substitute 2x= 0? Since x= 2 at P, you should have
x= 2t= 2 so t= 1. Unfortunately, if t= 1 then y= 4 -2(2)3= 4- 16= -12, not 2. Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? (2,2) is not on the curve f(t)= (2t, 4- 2t3)!
Uhmm, in fact, (2, 2) is on the curve, since:
x = 2t = 2 <=> t = 1
Plug t = 1 in, we have: y = y= 4 - 2(1)3 (It's 1, not 2 :smile:) = 2.
-----------------
@teng125:
Ok, open up your textbook, or notes. Can you find the formula to find the curvature of a curve given parametrically?

VietDao29 said:
Uhmm, in fact, (2, 2) is on the curve, since:
x = 2t = 2 <=> t = 1
Plug t = 1 in, we have: y = y= 4 - 2(1)3 (It's 1, not 2 :smile:) = 2.
-----------------
Well, we can just kind of ignore that, can't we! :uhh: :uhh:

@teng125:
Ok, open up your textbook, or notes. Can you find the formula to find the curvature of a curve given parametrically?

To repeat, correctly this time (I hope): There is no reason to take "2x= 0". The point is x= 2, y= 2 so x= 2t= 2 which gives t= 1. Then, y= 4- 2(1)3= 4- 2= 2. Yes! (2,2) is a point on the line! Your textbook probably has a number of formulas for curvature.

I still don't understand what you mean by "t= (2,3)". If you meant "what if the point was P(2,3)" then what I said before would be correct: (2, 3) is not on the curve so the question makes no sense. You can't just pick points at random: they have to be on the curve in order that the question "what is the curvature at that point?" to make sense. If on the other hand the point were given as P(6, -14) then you would calculate x= 2t= 6 so t= 3. Now check: y= 4- 2(3)2= 4- 18= -14. Yes, that point is on the graph. Use your formula with t= 3 for the curvature at P(6, -14).

ooo...okok i understand already.thanx
ya i just assume "t= (2,3)" which i simply picked.

1. What is the formula for calculating curvature at a point on a function?

The formula for calculating curvature at a point on a function is given by:
K = |f''(t)| / (1 + (f'(t))^2)^(3/2), where f''(t) and f'(t) are the second and first derivatives of the function at the given point.

2. How do you find the second derivative of a function?

The second derivative of a function can be found by taking the derivative of the first derivative of the function. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the form of the function.

3. What is the significance of curvature in mathematics?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is an important concept in mathematics as it helps in understanding the shape and behavior of curves and surfaces. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can curvature be negative?

Yes, curvature can be negative. A negative curvature indicates that the curve is bending inwards, while a positive curvature indicates that the curve is bending outwards. A curvature of 0 indicates a straight line.

5. How does the interval [0;2] affect the calculation of curvature?

The interval [0;2] represents the range of values for the independent variable, t, in the function. This interval does not affect the calculation of curvature, but it is important to specify the interval to determine the appropriate range for t when evaluating the derivatives of the function.