VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: I have a really cute one of a student and post-doc taking a blood sample from one sheep while another is looking on adoringly, at least it looks that way if you didn't know she was sneaking up to bite the post-doc in the butt! :rofl: But, aside from not wanting to post photos of other people without their permission, technically, we're not supposed to photograph anything inside the animal facility, so it would be very unwise to post them on the internet. That's why I stick to the outdoor photos of the animals any passer-by could see. The photos I have I include in research presentations only. I'd love to share

VOTE - Labor of Love

• turbo-1

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • scorpa

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Integral

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • detta

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Moonbear

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • cyrusabdollahi

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • hypatia

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • GeoMike

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Monique

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Gokul43201

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
We have a smaller number of entries this time, but there is a large variety of pictures here, from the awsome to the icky, and everything in between. :)

This is the only vote for this contest.

1. turbo-1
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4238/slagip9.jpg

2. scorpa
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Scorpa/Awesomestudyroominrutherfordsouth.jpg

3. Integral
http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/Laser/greenbeam.JPG

4. detta
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4402/mousetr1.jpg

5. Moonbear
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4664/hpscands69219152152vb8.jpg

6. cyrusabdollahi
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4724/untitledqe5.png

7. hypatia
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/hypatia3811/bones.jpg

8. GeoMike
http://www.mcschell.com/PDC_0013.jpg

9. Monique
http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/4484/developmentgu8.jpg

10. Gokul43201
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/434/img2571zx8.jpg

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tough choice between Integral and Monique for this one, but once again they are all awesome. I ended up gong with Integral but it was tough.

I'm going with Gokul. There was an added element of artistry to the angle from which the photo was taken that was pretty cool. But, they were all great photos...nice to see the cool toys and creatures people get to play with at work. I was tempted to vote for hypatia, mainly because I've felt like that some days too, so it was really close.

I went with monique, cool pic

Thanks yomamma, I was starting to wonder whether I should have just taken a picture of our two-photon-laser-confocal microscope :rolleyes: :wink:

Added detail: the worm is only 20 micrometers thick :biggrin:

Monique said:
Thanks yomamma, I was starting to wonder whether I should have just taken a picture of our two-photon-laser-confocal microscope :rolleyes: :wink:
:rofl: On this forum, yeah, that probably would have gotten more oohs and ahs! :biggrin: But, you'd have had to set the wavelength down low enough to be visible for a cool picture.

I quit voting in these things a long time ago. It soon came to the point where I just couldn't pick a favourite. There's too much talent here to decide amongst. Hope my lack of participation hasn't been interpreted as lack of interest. Keep 'em coming. :smile:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: On this forum, yeah, that probably would have gotten more oohs and ahs! :biggrin: But, you'd have had to set the wavelength down low enough to be visible for a cool picture.
Too bad that the fluorescence lamp was broken on the microscope, otherwise I could have tried a single exposure with GFP and DIC.. although this exposure was already difficult enough :smile: I only had about 15 seconds to find the light with my lens and get it to focus and snap before I had to send the light-beam back to the microscope for the filming.

I voted for Monique :smile:

My picture looks like crap :rofl: It should be taken down.

Scorpa's got mine :smile:

Wow! 5 people are within one vote of each other. Is this going to be another photo finish <pun intended>? Every vote counts!

Zz.

I had to go with Gokul.

No fair. I'm usually not allowed to take pics of the good stuff.

Moonbear. Such a cute animal must be the fruits of the labors of love.

Ok well not to say anything to any of your projects, dear peoples :biggrin:

But boy am I glad I'm doing whatever I'm doing sheeeeesh just look at that worm what are youmacallit thing in the lead! :yuck: :tongue2:

Wow this is definitely a close one! Get your votes in people!

Gokul's looks great, i wonder why there are satellite dish :P

cronxeh said:
Ok well not to say anything to any of your projects, dear peoples :biggrin:

But boy am I glad I'm doing whatever I'm doing sheeeeesh just look at that worm what are youmacallit thing in the lead! :yuck: :tongue2:
Then where was your picture? o:)

Everyone's work looks so interesting! We're all a bunch of geeks, but it's great!

I didn't spend enough time thinking of cool pictures to take of my work environment -- (IC designer). Most of it honestly happens on a computer screen, but we have also have a lot of space-robot looking test apparatus, SEM, FIB machines, etc. I don't know if I could have been much competition for the rest of you though. :biggrin:

Moonbear, I was totally hoping to see a picture of you wrestling a sheep!

- Warren

Monique said:
Then where was your picture? o:)

I don't think I can post pictures of my patients, due to HIPPA regulations :rolleyes:

With barely 2 days left in the voting, it is still VERY tight! Every vote counts (or if you're in Chicago, every multiple votes count!)

Zz.

chroot said:
Moonbear, I was totally hoping to see a picture of you wrestling a sheep!
:rofl: Something like that wouldn't have qualified, since it would have meant someone else took the photo. Besides, I make it look too easy. :wink: :biggrin: I have a really cute one of a student and post-doc taking a blood sample from one sheep while another is looking on adoringly, at least it looks that way if you didn't know she was sneaking up to bite the post-doc in the butt! :rofl: But, aside from not wanting to post photos of other people without their permission, technically, we're not supposed to photograph anything inside the animal facility, so it would be very unwise to post them on the internet. That's why I stick to the outdoor photos of the animals any passer-by could see. The photos I have I include in research presentations only. I'd love to share some of them otherwise.

cronxeh said:
I don't think I can post pictures of my patients, due to HIPPA regulations :rolleyes:
Yeah, but there's cool stuff in your job that doesn't require having a patient in the photo. You could have gotten a neat close-up of some part of an ambulance or some cool equipment nobody else gets to play with!

Hey, a wrestler's-eye view of a sheep fight would be pretty entertaining. Just seeing the bloodlust and adrenaline-charged fury in its little sheepy eyes... :rofl:

- Warren

Moonbear said:
Yeah, but there's cool stuff in your job that doesn't require having a patient in the photo. You could have gotten a neat close-up of some part of an ambulance or some cool equipment nobody else gets to play with!

Ohh Moonpie Ill do that :tongue:

chroot said:
Hey, a wrestler's-eye view of a sheep fight would be pretty entertaining. Just seeing the bloodlust and adrenaline-charged fury in its little sheepy eyes... :rofl:

- Warren
I almost had something like that, if I hadn't pushed the wrong button on my camera to take movies (still photos wouldn't have done it justice). Unfortunately, I'm still incompetent at operating my camera, and did a great job of filming my feet as I walked around and not filming sheep! :rofl: :redface: We had one sheep with a really bizarre side effect of a drug, and started acting like a ram after ewes in heat, except she seemed to not really care if it was ewes or people she went after. :bugeye: The student who first encountered this thought she was an attack sheep! :rofl: After I watched for a while, I had to inform the student that she wasn't "attacking her" she was trying to court her. :rofl: Though, she did get more aggressive with one of our male students...we wonder if he was perceived as "competition." :biggrin: He'll never live it down. I'll have to talk to Artman or Danger about getting him those Velcro mittens as a Christmas gift. :rofl:

Physical anthro major here, I had to go with hypatia's.

1. What is the "VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest" about?

The "VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest" is a competition where individuals can submit their favorite picture of someone who has made a positive impact in their community. This can include family members, friends, or any other person who has shown love and dedication in their daily lives.

2. How can I participate in the "VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest"?

To participate in the contest, you must first submit your picture on the designated contest website. Then, encourage your friends and family to vote for your picture. The picture with the most votes will be declared the winner.

3. What is the purpose of the "VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest"?

The purpose of the contest is to celebrate and honor the hard work and dedication of individuals who make a positive impact in their community. It also aims to spread love and kindness by showcasing these inspiring stories.

4. Who can enter the "VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest"?

The contest is open to anyone who has a picture of someone who has shown love and dedication in their community. This can include people of all ages, backgrounds, and professions.

5. When will the winner of the "VOTE - Labor of Love Picture Contest" be announced?

The winner will be announced at the end of the contest period, which is typically stated on the contest website. The winner will also be notified via email or other contact information provided during submission.