How can I improve my memory and avoid forgetting important information?

• Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, this conversation talks about how memory works and how to improve it. The experts suggest practicing, practicing, practicing, and listening to music that is catchy and interesting.
Oxygenne
I observe in the last time I cannot remeber very easy things that I learn in past, in high school and some of them I was using daily.

Is memory like a muscle, something specific you can exercise?

What to change and re-organise in the the way to help to support memory works?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember from learning history that using rhymes worked really well. When learning a list, I would form a rhyme from the key word in each point, or perhaps the first letters.

To remember numbers I usually try to separate the number into memorable groups and then think of words that sound like the number. For instance 849 4183 becomes "fight for life for one ain't free" or something like that. Perhaps I'm odd though...

Try to think of the things you want to remember "backwards", like when memorizing 6 X 8 = 48, try to think "What are the factors of 48?". Yeah, you'll get different answers than just the narrow one you were memorizing, but that's the point. If your mind is strongly context-dependent, like mine, you have trouble remembering data unless you can fit it into a pattern in your mind, so you do tricks to get that pattern built for the particular case.

What was the question again?

Of course with brain death there's no hope.

Scientists seem to think so. People who are mentally active - take classes, work puzzles, play strategic games, etc. - perform better in cognitive and memory tests than those who do not regularly 'exercise' their brains. Those who exercise regularly also show positive results.

Chronos said:
Scientists seem to think so. People who are mentally active - take classes, work puzzles, play strategic games, etc. - perform better in cognitive and memory tests than those who do not regularly 'exercise' their brains. Those who exercise regularly also show positive results.

Having regular sex also helps !

I know a good way to remember things but I forgot.

lol

GINKO (an herb)

(((sog))) (((has))) (((spoken)))

Last edited:
1stly go to www.mindtools.com

2ndly learn how to mind map

3rdly get paul mckenna video on accelerated learning

4thly work for 15 minutes and take breaks of 5 minutes

5th listen to baroque music

6th stimulate yourself to find the subject you are learning interesting

7th buy one of those multicolored pens

8th don't listen to anybody who says people are born intelligent

9th buy brain age

10th buy rosetta stone for languages.

This should all help guaranteed.

You could try learning some memory techniques. Read for example a book by Dominic O'Brien or Tony Buzan (available for about 10 Euro or Dollars). They describe how to memorize a 100 digit number, a deck of cards, 100 items etc..

It's quite fun to learn them and it's not that hard.

memory improvent

good authors i can recommend are tony buzan and domonic o brien ...2nd name might be spelt incorrectly.

tell me if this helps

Perhaps as we learn more about eidetic memory, (the capacity for total recall) we may find that it's not completely hardwired into our DNA, but that a learning component contributes to it, as well (similar to the ability to echo-locate or exhibit perfect pitch).

We have had several threads on photographic memory. Here is an example.

Practice, practice, practice! :)

This is a bit late, but since you're looking for practical advice on ways to better remember things more than wanting to understand the science of learning and memory, I'm going to move this thread to Academic and Career Guidance. I think the tips and different approaches people can provide will be useful to a lot of the students here who may need academic help.

I've got a shocking memory but, afaic, memory was only required when having to do exams - and I found that last minute cramming got me through :biggrin:

fabsuk said:
10th buy rosetta stone for languages.

I disagree. Rosetta Stone is one of the most ridiculously overpriced language software I 've ever encountered.

Writing something down always helps me remember (especially when I look at what I wrote).

Unfortunately, I have a bad tendency to accidently leave the directions or phone number I wrote down behind (but I always remember where I left them). So being able to remember anything I've written down does come in handy.

Now, if I could just remember where I parked my car when I visited the mall yesterday...

1. How can I improve my memory?

There are several ways to improve your memory: practicing mindfulness and being present in the moment, getting enough sleep, engaging in regular physical exercise, eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, and challenging your brain with new and stimulating activities.

2. Does brain training games really improve memory?

The effectiveness of brain training games in improving memory is still debated among scientists. While some studies have shown a small improvement in memory, others have found no significant effect. It is important to note that these games may improve specific skills, but may not necessarily translate to overall memory improvement.

3. How does stress affect memory?

Stress can have a negative impact on memory by causing the release of cortisol, a hormone that can impair memory formation. Chronic stress can also lead to structural changes in the brain, particularly in the hippocampus, which is responsible for memory formation.

4. Are there any natural supplements that can improve memory?

Some natural supplements, such as ginkgo biloba and omega-3 fatty acids, have been touted as memory enhancers. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support their effectiveness. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement to improve memory.

5. Can memory decline be prevented?

While some degree of memory decline is a natural part of aging, there are steps you can take to help prevent it. These include staying mentally and physically active, managing stress, getting enough sleep, and maintaining a healthy diet. It is also important to seek treatment for any underlying medical conditions that may affect memory, such as depression or vitamin deficiencies.