What is the Next Generation Propulsion Technology at RRX Aerospace?

In summary, RRX Aerospace is developing a preliminary hybrid engine design and possible prototype which they believe will bring excellent return on investment in the 7-75 year range. Some are skeptical about the project's feasibility and question the credibility of the company, but others believe that with sufficient funding and resources, anything is possible.
kach22i
FYI:
http://www.rutherford-research.ca/rrx/aerospace/nextGenPropulsion.php
RRX Aerospace, is proceeding, with development, of a preliminary hybrid engine design and, possibly, prototype. RRX Aerospace expects excellent return on investment, in the 7-75 year range.

Click link above to see pictures and description.

Physics news on Phys.org
in the 7-75 year range.
That's the sort of certainty I like to put in my project plans!
I hope they engineer better than they punctuate.

mgb_phys said:
That's the sort of certainty I like to put in my project plans!

It's all about the funding!

When JFK said we would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade many experts thought he was nuts. It's pretty amazing what can be done when you throw goobs of money, people and resources at a problem/project.

It' is quite a range of years I'll admit. Did you see some of their work though? Some of it is pushing numbers around and developing theories or processes and not actual products.

kach22i said:
It's all about the funding!
Well, no - that 7-75 years isn't a development time, but an ROI. They are saying that if the idea works, it may or may not turn a profit in my lifetime. I won't be rushing to invest any time soon...

This looks to me like a scam. The diagram is non-descriptive and the description is just word salad. It has no meaning whatsoever. And the corporate information is so thin it leads me to believe it is just a one-man operation that does...well...he made a website. :uhh:

Last edited:
Could be right, I could find no information on the parent company "RSL" assuming the "R" stands for Rutherford.

1. What is a hybrid jet and rocket engine?

A hybrid jet and rocket engine is a type of propulsion system that combines elements of both jet and rocket engines. It uses a combination of liquid fuel and air, similar to a jet engine, but also has a solid fuel component, like a rocket engine. This allows for greater flexibility in flight and can potentially lead to more efficient and cost-effective space travel.

2. How does a hybrid jet and rocket engine work?

The hybrid jet and rocket engine works by using a liquid fuel, such as kerosene, to power a turbine and compressor, which sucks in and compresses air. This air is then mixed with the liquid fuel and ignited, creating a high-temperature, high-pressure gas that is expelled out of the back of the engine, generating thrust. In addition, a solid fuel, such as hydrogen peroxide, is used to provide an extra boost of power during takeoff and high-altitude flight.

3. What are the advantages of a hybrid jet and rocket engine?

One of the main advantages of a hybrid jet and rocket engine is its versatility. It can operate in both jet and rocket mode, allowing for efficient flight at various altitudes and speeds. It also has a more efficient fuel consumption rate compared to traditional rocket engines, making it a more cost-effective option for space travel. Additionally, the use of both liquid and solid fuel components allows for redundancy, reducing the risk of engine failure.

4. What are the challenges of developing a hybrid jet and rocket engine?

One of the main challenges in developing a hybrid jet and rocket engine is finding the right balance between the liquid and solid fuel components. The engine must be able to switch smoothly and efficiently between the two modes of operation. Additionally, the design and construction of the engine must take into account the different temperatures and pressures experienced during flight, which can be a complex and technically challenging task.

5. How is a hybrid jet and rocket engine being used in current space missions?

Currently, hybrid jet and rocket engines are being used in a variety of space missions, including the SpaceShipTwo suborbital spaceplane and the Stratolaunch carrier aircraft. These engines are also being researched and developed for potential use in future missions to Mars and other planets, as they offer a more efficient and cost-effective option for long-distance space travel.