Finding the Center and Radius of a Sphere in R^3

In summary, to find the center and radius of a sphere given an equation, complete the square for the x variables and then apply the cartesian equation of a sphere. The equation should be in the form (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2, where a, b, c represent the x, y, z coordinates of the center and r is the radius.
RyanSchw
Center of a Sphere in R^3

I need to find the center and radius of a sphere given the equation:

[tex]
x^2 - 4x + y^2 + z^2 = 0
[/tex]

I would like to hope it would be as easy as just adding 4x to both sides, but having a variable as the radius probably isn’t correct.

On the other hand, I have no idea how to complete the square when no other coefficients are present. Simply adding y and z coefficients only leads to variables I cannot get rid of on the right side of the equation.

Attempts I have thus far
[tex]
(x-2)^2 + (y+2)^2 + (z+2)^2 = 12 + 4y + 4z
[/tex]
or
[tex]
(x-2)^2+y^2+z^2=(\frac{4}{2})^2
[/tex]
I’m guessing I need to somehow get x^2 on the left and have the sphere centered about the origin.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to complete the square for the x variables then the answer should be straight forward. The cartesian equation of a square centered at (x0, y0, z0) is:

[tex] (x-x_0)^2 + (y-y_0)^2 + (z-z_0)^2= r^2 [/tex]

If I give you the equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2, where a, b, c, and r are constants, does it describe a sphere? (Answer: yes.) What are the (x,y,z) coordinates of the center of the sphere? What is the radius?

So would it then be
[tex]
(x-2)^2+(y-0)^2+(z-0)^2=(\frac{4}{2})^2
[/tex]?

That's about all I can think of =(

OK, so what is the center? What is the radius?

If that's the equation for the sphere, the center would be (2,0,0) with r=2

RyanSchw said:
If that's the equation for the sphere, the center would be (2,0,0) with r=2

Correct! :smile: Although I don't understand where you got 4/2 from?

The 4/2 was the factor that I added when I completed the square on both sides. I just left it that way because I wasnt sure where to go from there.

Thank you both for your help!

I only got a factor of 4. Never mind you have the correct answer anyway.

1. What is the center of a sphere in R^3?

The center of a sphere in R^3 is the point that is equidistant from all points on the surface of the sphere. It is also known as the geometric center or the centroid of the sphere.

2. How is the center of a sphere in R^3 determined?

The center of a sphere in R^3 can be determined using the coordinates of three points on the surface of the sphere. These points can be used to create a circle, and the center of that circle is also the center of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of the center of a sphere in R^3?

The center of a sphere in R^3 is important in geometry and physics because it is the point from which all measurements of the sphere are taken. It also helps to define the symmetry and shape of the sphere.

4. Can the center of a sphere in R^3 be located outside of the sphere?

No, the center of a sphere in R^3 must always be located on the surface of the sphere. If it is located outside of the sphere, it would no longer be the center and would not have equal distance to all points on the surface.

5. How does the center of a sphere in R^3 relate to its radius?

The center of a sphere in R^3 is located at the midpoint of its radius. This means that any line drawn from the center to a point on the surface of the sphere will have the same length as the radius of the sphere.