Average speed & average velocity Problem

In summary: Is it 4.24 hours or in seconds?In summary, Brandon climbed a mountain with a starting elevation of 511m above sea level and reached an elevation of 2746m after 6.18 hours, covering a distance of 16000m. Using the equation tan theta=opposite/adjacent, he calculated the average angle of ascent to be approximately 8 degrees. His average speed along the path was calculated to be 0.705m/s using the equation avg speed=total distance/total time. To find his average vertical velocity, the equation v=Delta x/delta t was used, with a vertical displacement of 2235m and a time of 4.24 hours, resulting
davidco

Homework Statement

Brandon is climbing a mountain. He starts from an elevation of H1=511m above sea level. In 6.18 hours he climbs to an elevation of H2=2746m above sea level. The length of his path is L1=16000m.

A)What is the average angle of ascent the path makes with the horizontal?Theta=
B)What is his average speed along the path in meters/second? average speed=
C)What is his average vertical velocity? Vup=
D)After he eats he hikes back down to their starting point in T2=4.24 hours
What is his average vertical velocity? Vdown=

Homework Equations

avg speed=total distance/total time
avg velocity=v=Delta x/delta t
tan theta=opposite/adjacent

The Attempt at a Solution

A)tan theta=opposite/adjacent
Im so confused as to what equations to use.

B)avg speed= total distance/total time

16000M/22680S=0.705m/s

C)avg velocity=v=Delta x/delta t

D)Confused on D as well

Please give some suggestions or the correct equations will be great.thanx Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. If you haven't done it already, one thing that helps is to draw a picture.

For a, you have the correct equation. Hint: what does L1 represent in a simple idealized geometric shape?

For c & d: be careful. The problem says average vertical velocity.

Also, looks like you double posted by mistake.:smile:

Last edited:
Hotvette thanks a lot for the help just got a few more questions.

If your talking in terms of a triangle L1 would represent my hypotenuse I believe. So would 16000m be my hypotenuse is what your suggesting. But don't I have to choose the equation involving the hypotenuse to find the angle. Like:

sin theta= opp/hyp
or
cos theta= adj/hyp

But my question is what is the equation for vertical velocity?

Thanx Vette

For the angle yes, use:

sin theta = opp/hyp

average vertical velocity = vertical displacement/time

Thank you learn,

But I am wondering if my hyp=16000m and I am trying to find theta. what's my opp or how do i find my opp.?

davidco said:
Thank you learn,

But I am wondering if my hyp=16000m and I am trying to find theta. what's my opp or how do i find my opp.?

What distance does he travel vertically? they give you initial height and final height...

Thanx Learn,

Ok so if I subtract the H2=2746m- 511m=my distance is 2235m

So to find theta I did this:

sin theta=opp/hyp

sin theta=2235m/16000
theta=7.98 degrees or 8 degrees

Please tell me this is correct

davidco said:
Thanx Learn,

Ok so if I subtract the H2=2746m- 511m=my distance is 2235m

So to find theta I did this:

sin theta=opp/hyp

sin theta=2235m/16000
theta=7.98 degrees or 8 degrees

Please tell me this is correct

yup, looks right to me. But I get 8.03 degrees.

Thanx,

For my average speed =total distance/total time,do I use the 16000m for total distance/6.18hrs or do i convert hrs to seconds. Since my answer has to be in m/s?

Yeah, I think converting to s is best. otherwise your answer will be in m/hr... best to use m/s.

Question so if vertical speed= deltaV/T,would my deltaV= .705m/s?I got .705m/s from my average velocity equation which was 16000m/22680s=.705m/s for avgV. Is average vertical velocity and vertical velocity the same equation?

vertical velocity is vertical displacement which you know is 2235m divided by time.

1. What is the difference between average speed and average velocity?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while average velocity is the displacement divided by the total time taken. Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed does not.

2. How do you calculate average speed and average velocity?

To calculate average speed, divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. To calculate average velocity, divide the displacement by the total time taken.

3. Can average speed and average velocity be the same?

Yes, if the motion is in a straight line with no change in direction, the average speed and average velocity will be the same. However, if there is a change in direction, the average velocity will be different from the average speed.

4. How do you convert average speed into average velocity?

To convert average speed into average velocity, you need to calculate the displacement. This can be done by finding the difference between the initial and final positions. Then, divide the displacement by the total time taken to find the average velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of average speed and average velocity?

An example of average speed would be a car traveling on a highway. An example of average velocity would be a person walking around a circular track. The person may have walked a total distance, but their displacement would be zero, resulting in an average velocity of zero.