Physical Chemistry: Math

In summary, the conversation is about verifying a math problem involving the commutator of two momentum operators, P_x and P_x^2. The simplified answer for the commutator can be obtained without writing the momentum operator in the position representation. The final answer involves the partial derivatives of a function f.
igaffed
hello all,

I am doing some homework and need some verification on the math:

[Px, Px^2]f= PxPx^2f - Px^2Pxf

Px= -iħd/dx
Px2= -i^2ħ^2d^2/dx^2

-iħd/dx(-i^2ħ^2d^2/dx^2f) - (-i^2ħ^2d^2/dx^2)( -iħd/dxf)

i^3ħ^3d/dx(d^2f/dx^2) - i^3ħ^3 d^2/dx^2(df/dx)

the number following the "^" sign just means raised to that power. Would someone verify if this is correct please? thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you write Px and Px^2, do you mean [itex]P_x[/itex] and [itex]P_x^2[/itex]?

1. If the above is true, then there's a very simple value for the commutator that can be got without having to write the momentum operator in the position representation ([itex]-i \hbar \partial/\partial x [/itex]). The last line of your calculation simplifies to this final answer.

2. [tex]\frac{\partial}{ \partial x} \frac{\partial f}{ \partial x} = \frac{\partial ^2f}{ \partial x^2 } [/tex]

and so on...

1. What is the role of mathematics in physical chemistry?

Mathematics is an essential tool in physical chemistry as it allows scientists to quantitatively describe and analyze chemical phenomena. It provides the foundation for understanding concepts such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What are the key mathematical concepts used in physical chemistry?

The key mathematical concepts used in physical chemistry include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. These concepts are used to model and solve equations related to chemical systems and properties.

3. How does mathematics help in predicting and understanding chemical reactions?

Mathematical models and equations are used to predict and understand the behavior of chemical reactions. By applying fundamental principles of thermodynamics and kinetics, mathematicians and chemists can determine reaction rates, equilibrium constants, and other important parameters.

4. Can you provide an example of a mathematical equation commonly used in physical chemistry?

A commonly used equation in physical chemistry is the Arrhenius equation, which relates the rate constant of a reaction to the temperature and activation energy. It is represented as k = A * e^(-Ea/RT), where k is the rate constant, A is the pre-exponential factor, Ea is the activation energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

5. How important is mathematical proficiency in the field of physical chemistry?

Mathematical proficiency is crucial in the field of physical chemistry as it allows scientists to accurately interpret and analyze experimental data and make predictions about chemical systems. It also plays a significant role in the development and improvement of new technologies and materials.