Newton's Laws and the coefficient of kinetic friction

In summary, the problem involves finding the coefficient of kinetic friction for a wooden crate sliding across a rough floor. The equation used is coefficient = kinetic friction/normal force. Using the GUESS method, the solution is found to be 0.19. However, there were some errors in the initial calculations which resulted in a wrong answer. After correcting the errors, the correct coefficient is found to be 0.187.
petern
Here is the problem:
A 12.5 Kg wooden crate with an initial velocity of 2.5m/s slides across a rough cement floor for 1.7 m before coming to rest. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction. (Use GUESS method.) The answer is 0.19.

The equation you use is: coefficient = kinetic friction/normal force

I worked backwards so I got 0.19 = kinetic friction/(9.8 gravity x 12.5 kg)

That means the kinetic friction has to be 23.275 N.

Can someone show me how to work this one correctly. I don't know where the 23.275 came from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the crate's acceleration. Then apply Newton's 2nd law.

OK, so I figured out that acceleration is -.075 m/s^2. So friction is equal to m x a. This would mean the plugged in values would be: coefficient = (12.5 kg x -.75 m/s^2)/(12.5 kg x 9.8 m/s^2). I got the answer -.077 but this is wrong because the correct coefficient is .19. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to square the velocity as I was solving for a. So the acceleration should have actually been -1.838 m/s^2. Thank you so much for the help. I finally figured it out.

Last edited:
I do have one last question, is the working equation (v^2/x)(m) / (g)(m)?

is the mew exactly .19?

Last edited:
i haven't done these types of problems in awhile but this is what i have.

to find acceleration use:
v[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]=v[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]+2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x//solve for a
a=(v[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]-v[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex])/2[tex]\Delta[/tex]x//substitute known values
a=-1.838m/s[tex]^{}2[/tex]

now use:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma//the sum of the forces=ma;the only force acting here is friction
-[tex]\mu[/tex]mg=ma//m's cancel out and you get
[tex]\mu[/tex]=-a/g
[tex]\mu[/tex]=.187

Last edited:
Yeah, I got that exact answer too. Thanks for the help.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move in the presence of forces. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact as one object moves across the other. It is represented by the symbol μk and is defined as the ratio of the force of kinetic friction to the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. How do Newton's Laws relate to the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, can be applied to the coefficient of kinetic friction. The force of kinetic friction is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction multiplied by the normal force. Therefore, the coefficient of kinetic friction affects the acceleration of an object as it moves across a surface.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of kinetic friction affects the motion of an object by determining the amount of resistance or friction between two surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means there will be more resistance and the object will require more force to maintain its motion. A lower coefficient of kinetic friction means there will be less resistance and the object will require less force to maintain its motion.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant velocity and dividing it by the normal force. Additionally, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be found in tables or charts for different materials and surfaces.