Sound intensity increase as a result of wave interference?

In summary, the question is asking about how often the sound intensity increases due to wave interference in an airplane with two engines running at 560rpm and 570rpm. The conversation discusses the concept of beat frequency and how it can be calculated using the periods of two signals. The conversation also mentions converting rpm to rad/s and the relationship between frequency and angular velocity. The final conclusion is that the beat frequency in this situation would be approximately 5.87 seconds.
gills

Homework Statement

You're in an airplan whose two engines are running at 560rpm and 570 rpm. How often do you hear the sound intesity increase as a result of wave interference?

Well, i know that the intensity will increase when the wave interference is constructive, but point me in the right direction in how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever sat in traffic in a turn lane, and watched the turn signals of the cars in front of you blink? Sometimes there's a garbage truck there, and its turn signal blinks at a slower rate than the Camry behind it. If you watch for a bit, the signals seem to alternate, back and forth, but slowly the Camry's turn signal slowly catches up, until for a few moments, they seemingly blink on and off at the same time. That is, until, the Camry's signal goes by, and they go back to blinking at different times.

If you knew the periods of each turn signal, you could calculate when they would blink together. You have the same type of situation, except instead of blinking lights you have engines cycling many hundreds of times a minute.

Here's hoping you've been as bored in traffic as I have :-)

dotman said:
Have you ever sat in traffic in a turn lane, and watched the turn signals of the cars in front of you blink? Sometimes there's a garbage truck there, and its turn signal blinks at a slower rate than the Camry behind it. If you watch for a bit, the signals seem to alternate, back and forth, but slowly the Camry's turn signal slowly catches up, until for a few moments, they seemingly blink on and off at the same time. That is, until, the Camry's signal goes by, and they go back to blinking at different times.

If you knew the periods of each turn signal, you could calculate when they would blink together. You have the same type of situation, except instead of blinking lights you have engines cycling many hundreds of times a minute.

Here's hoping you've been as bored in traffic as I have :-)

I know exactly what you're saying because i always notice that! You're not the only one.
I definitely understand the visualization of the what the question is asking, i just don't know how to set it up. That's always the hardest part!

I'm going to look into it.

If i convert the rpm to rad/s, is the rad/s the sound frequency? Sorry if that's a stupid question! I'm behind in this...

so if i go with what i said previously, then --->

560rpm = 58.62 rad/s
570rpm = 59.69 rad/s

then simply,

59.69 - 58.62 = 1.07 rad/s

T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/w --->

5.87 seconds? how does this look?

gills said:
If i convert the rpm to rad/s, is the rad/s the sound frequency? Sorry if that's a stupid question! I'm behind in this...

Not a stupid question, I don't know either. Maybe someone knows for sure.

In any event, if it is, I think your answer is correct, although you've kind of done a roundabout thing-- typically you find the frequency and calculate beat frequency, like Astronuc said. I think you've done the equivalent here with the velocities instead-- perhaps a beat velocity, if you will. Dunno.

I -do- know that:

[tex] T = \frac{1}{\nu} [/tex]

so

[tex] T_{beat} = \frac{1}{\nu_{beat}} = \frac{1}{\nu_2 - \nu_1}[/tex]

and since

[tex] \omega = 2\pi\nu \Rightarrow \nu = \frac{\omega}{2\pi} [/tex]

then

[tex] T_{beat} = \frac{1}{\nu_2 - \nu_1} = \frac{1}{\frac{\omega_2}{2\pi} - \frac{\omega_1}{2\pi}} = \frac{2\pi}{\omega_2 - \omega_1} = \frac{2\pi}{\omega_{beat}}[/tex]

which is what you've done, so yeah, I think you're good, assuming that the sound frequency is equivalent to the engine frequency.

1. How does wave interference affect sound intensity?

Wave interference is the phenomenon where two or more waves intersect and combine with each other. In the case of sound waves, when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude intersect, they can either reinforce or cancel each other out depending on their phase relationship. This results in a change in the overall sound intensity at that point.

2. What factors affect the increase in sound intensity due to wave interference?

The increase in sound intensity due to wave interference depends on the amplitude and phase relationship of the intersecting waves, as well as the distance between the source of the waves and the point where the interference occurs. The type of medium through which the waves are traveling can also play a role.

3. Can wave interference always result in an increase in sound intensity?

No, wave interference can also result in a decrease in sound intensity in certain situations. When two waves with opposite phases meet, they can cancel each other out completely, resulting in no sound being heard at that point.

4. How does constructive interference lead to an increase in sound intensity?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet with a phase difference of 0° or a multiple of 360°. In this case, the waves add up to create a larger amplitude, resulting in an increase in sound intensity.

5. Can destructive interference lead to a complete cancellation of sound?

Yes, destructive interference occurs when two waves with opposite phases meet. In this case, the waves cancel each other out, resulting in a complete absence of sound at that point. This is often seen in noise-cancelling technology where sound waves are purposely produced to cancel out unwanted background noise.