Rate of flow - height of water problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem given for a class that involves differential equations and a vessel with a constant cross sectional area. The person is unsure if the differential equation should include the cross sectional area and is seeking clarification. The expert responds by explaining that the cross sectional area should not be included because it is constant, and provides the correct equation to solve the problem. The expert also mentions that the flow and height variables need to be included and can be constant or vary with time.
ineedmunchies
Ok so I've been given this problem for one of my classes (see attatchment) :

I haven't done much with differential equations before and I'm a bit stuck. What has been putting me off is the fact that it says the vessel has a constant cross sectional area A. which I am guessing is the grey shaded area.

I don't understand how whether the differential equation is meant to include this A term. Surely it can't be constant if the height of the water varies?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Attachments

• question1.JPG
    question1.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two of the dimensions in volume accounted for, by the constant cross sectional area. The grey shaded area is the liquid. The cross sectional area represents the 2 dimensions of the cylinder aside from the height which is changing. Don't be fooled.

You shouldn't have to include the cross sectional area because the question asks for a function of height. Now, if the cross-sectional area was not constant, you would have to include a derivative of that as well.

Last edited:
ah thank you, well in that case would it be something like:

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex] = A [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]

No, you shouldn't include A, because it's a constant. The question concerns only changing quantities that affect that specific variable h. h isn't going to be changed with respect to A because there is no change in A, i.e. dA/dT = 0.

In this case, there is obviously only one change, a linear increase in h(t) coming from q(t).

ineedmunchies said:
ah thank you, well in that case would it be something like:

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex] = A [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]

ineedmunchies, you were almost correct in the equation, but made an error which you could avoid if you had checked the units. You have for the flow entering the vessel q expressed in m^3/s and the cross-sectional area A in m^2, therefore you have for the change in height:

[tex]\frac{dh(t)}{dt}=\frac{q(t)}{A}[/tex]

This is the differential equation you need to solve. Remember you need the flow q(t) as a function. It can be a constant, but that was not given in the original post, as wasn't the height h(t) at a certain time t. These things will make it completely solvable. It is a basic equation, but in case you have any problems, post them.

1. What is the rate of flow - height of water problem?

The rate of flow - height of water problem is a basic fluid mechanics problem that involves determining the rate of water flow through a pipe or channel in relation to the height of the water. It is commonly used in engineering and physics applications to calculate flow rates and determine the effects of changing water levels.

2. How is the rate of flow - height of water problem solved?

The rate of flow - height of water problem is typically solved using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid at any given point. Other methods, such as the continuity equation and the energy equation, can also be used to solve this problem.

3. What factors affect the rate of flow - height of water problem?

The rate of flow - height of water problem is affected by several factors, including the diameter of the pipe or channel, the viscosity of the fluid, the length of the pipe or channel, and the pressure difference between the two ends. Changes in any of these factors can significantly impact the rate of water flow.

4. Can the rate of flow - height of water problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the rate of flow - height of water problem has many practical applications in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the flow rate of water through a pipe in a plumbing system, or to determine the amount of water that can be transported through a river or canal.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the rate of flow - height of water problem?

One common mistake when solving the rate of flow - height of water problem is not considering all the relevant factors, such as friction or changes in elevation. Another mistake is not accounting for units of measurement, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully consider all factors and double-check calculations to avoid these errors.