Exploring Free Particle Scattering and Tunneling with Trigonometric Functions

• Thread starter splitringtail
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is about free particle scattering/tunneling by a well and a barrier combination, where the wave numbers in the four regions of interest are different. The solution inside the well can be expressed as a linear combination of exponents or sine and cosine functions. The question is whether these exponent forms can be rewritten as a linear combination of sine and cosine, which would make the calculations less cumbersome. This can be achieved by using the identity e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta + i \sin\theta and converting between exponentials and sines/cosines using trigonometric identities.
splitringtail
[SOLVED] Making the math easier

Homework Statement

I am doing a free particle scattering/tunneling by a well and a barrier combination. There are four regions of interest where the wave numbers are different. I have seen the solution inside the well be expressed as a linear combination of exponents or sine and cosine functions.

Now I have only seen free particles in these problems as a linear combination of exponents... can I rewrite them as a linear combination of sine and cosine. I am finding these exponent forms very very cumbersome b/c I get two terms when I match the wave functions @ x=0, if they were in a sine and cosine combination, then it would sine would be zero @ x=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a discussion and there is too much work to present here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the identity
[tex]e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta + i \sin\theta[/itex].
So, for example
[tex]\sum_k a_k e^{ikx} = \sum_k a_k (\cos(kx) + i \sin(kx))[/tex]
and then you can try to rewrite this (for example, if the sum runs from -infinity to +infinity, you can use that sin(-kx) = -sin(kx) and cos(-kx) = cos(kx) to simplify).
If the exponent is real, you can use
[tex]e^{\theta} = e^{i(-i\theta)} = \cos(-i\theta) + i sin(-i\theta)[/tex]
and subsequently
[tex]\sinh x = -i \sin(i\theta), \cosh x = \cos(i\theta)[/tex]
to write them in hyperbolic sines and cosines.

Conversely, if you have a combination of sines and cosines, you can always write them in exponentials. All of this is the reason we usually write a plane wave as something like exp(i(kx - wt)) with k the wavevector and w the frequency: you can write it out in sines and cosines to say that it really "waves" :smile:

1. How can I make math easier?

There are several techniques that can help make math easier. One way is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Another technique is to use visual aids or diagrams to better understand concepts. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help when needed can also make math easier.

2. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to simplify math?

One common mistake is trying to memorize formulas without understanding the underlying concepts. This can lead to confusion and errors. Another mistake is skipping steps in problem-solving, which can result in incorrect answers. It is important to take the time to fully understand the problem and the steps needed to solve it.

3. Are there any tools or resources available to help make math easier?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available, such as online calculators, math software, and tutoring services. These can provide additional support and help make math easier by offering step-by-step solutions and practice problems.

4. How can I improve my mental math skills?

One way to improve mental math skills is to regularly practice mental math exercises. This can include doing mental calculations in everyday situations, such as calculating tips or estimating grocery costs. Another helpful tip is to break down numbers into smaller, more manageable parts, and use known facts and shortcuts to make calculations easier.

5. Is it important to understand the concepts behind math problems, or is it enough to just know how to solve them?

It is important to understand the concepts behind math problems in order to truly grasp and apply mathematical concepts. Simply memorizing and applying formulas may work for some problems, but understanding the underlying concepts allows for a deeper understanding of math and the ability to solve more complex problems.