Complex Dielectric Constant Question

In summary: This helps us understand the response from just the lattice without considering the influence of the electrons.In summary, the conversation is about the complex dielectric constant and its equation. The complex dielectric constant is represented by \widetilde{\epsilon_r} and can be expressed as \epsilon_r=\epsilon'_r+j\epsilon''_r. The value of \epsilon_L is the old value of the dielectric constant before introducing the complex dielectric function. The book "Theory of Dielectrics" by Frolich is recommended for further understanding. The subscript "L" in \epsilon_L represents the effect from only the positively charged cores in the lattice.
MioTheGreat
Hello,

I'm trying to follow along in my Solid State Physics book, but I'm getting hung up on an equation for the complex dielectric constant.

[tex]\widetilde{\epsilon_r}=\epsilon_L+j\widetilde{\sigma}/\omega[/tex]

Multiply through by the definition of the complex conductivity, so that we get something in the form of [tex]\epsilon_r=\epsilon'_r+j\epsilon''_r[/tex]

where

[tex]\epsilon'_r[/tex] is [tex]\epsilon_L/\epsilon_0 + \sigma_0\tau/\epsilon_0(1+\omega^2\tau^2)[/tex]

What, exactly, is [tex]\epsilon_L[/tex]? Is it just the old value of the dielectric constant before we introduce this complex stuff (So, a function of [tex]\omega[/tex])? The book doesn't really elaborate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yep. it is just convenient to put everything into a "complex" dielectric function. A really good book on dielectrics that I would recommend is called (I think) "Theory of dielectrics" by Frolich. One does not need to introduce a complex dielectric function if one does not want to... as usual it is just convenient... the fact that there are "two" dielectric functions (i.e., two components [itex]\epsilon^'[/itex] and [tex]\epsilon^{''}[/tex]) is because the response of the system can be out of phase... An external (real) electric field with time dep cos(wt) induces response like Acos(wt)+Bsin(wt) and the coefficient of the sin term is just like the imaginary part of the dielectric function. cheers.

what does the subscript "L" mean, anyway?

zhanghe said:
what does the subscript "L" mean, anyway?

From what I understand, it means the effect from only the positively charged cores (Hence, L for Lattice).

Last edited:

1. What is the complex dielectric constant?

The complex dielectric constant is a measure of a material's ability to store and dissipate electric energy. It is a complex number with both real and imaginary components, and it is typically represented by the symbol ε* or εr. The real component represents the material's ability to store energy, while the imaginary component represents its ability to dissipate energy.

2. How is the complex dielectric constant measured?

The complex dielectric constant is typically measured using a device called a dielectric spectrometer. This device applies an alternating electric field to a sample of the material and measures the resulting polarization. By varying the frequency of the applied field, the complex dielectric constant can be determined at different frequencies.

3. What factors affect the complex dielectric constant of a material?

The complex dielectric constant of a material is affected by several factors, including the composition and structure of the material, temperature, and frequency of the applied electric field. Additionally, the presence of impurities, defects, and interfaces can also impact the complex dielectric constant.

4. What is the significance of the complex dielectric constant in materials science?

The complex dielectric constant is an important parameter in materials science as it provides information about a material's electrical properties and behavior. It is used in the design and development of electronic components, insulating materials, and energy storage devices, among others.

5. Can the complex dielectric constant change over time?

Yes, the complex dielectric constant of a material can change over time due to factors such as aging, exposure to temperature and humidity, and mechanical stress. These changes can affect the material's electrical performance and must be considered in applications where long-term stability is important.