Relationship between Linear and Rotational Variables

In summary, my professor showed us a relationship of angular acceleration=radius*(linear acceleration), which doesn't make sense. We are assuming a 90 degree angle, so from r x (angular acceleration) = (linear acceleration) wouldn't we get r*aa=la --> aa=la/r. This would be incorrect, and we need to use radians instead. Also, alpha is needed to convert from angular acceleration to linear acceleration.
killercatfish
My main confusion is in the proof my professor showed us just before break. He came up with a relationship of (angular acceleration)=radius*(linear acceleration) which doesn't make sense, we are assuming a 90 degree angle, so from r x (angular acceleration) = (linear acceleration) wouldn't we get r*aa=la --> aa=la/r.

I am in need of this to make the conversion in a problem where I can estimate the velocity of an action (and derive the velocity from the acceleration). But have to start with the basic Fnet=Iaa, and the only force is the torque.

Any clarification would be great. THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use radians instead of degrees. Radian is a bit unusual in physics, in that it's a pseudo-unit. When converting from rotational movement to linear movement, "radian" can be simply dropped, and when converting from linear to rotational movement, "radian" can be added.

Force x radius = torque, so force = torque / radius.

linear acceleration = radius x angular acceleration

Hi killercatfish! :smile:

Angular acceleration is 1/time^2.

Linear acceleration is length/time^2.

Radius*(linear acceleration) is length^2/time^2.

It should be linear acceleration (tangential, with fixed radius) = radius*angular acceleration. :smile:

Your professor must be wrong :frown: (or sadly misunderstood! :cry:).

killercatfish said:
My main confusion is in the proof my professor showed us just before break. He came up with a relationship of (angular acceleration)=radius*(linear acceleration) which doesn't make sense,
No it doesn't. Sounds like you (or he) have it backwards. How did he "prove" this?
we are assuming a 90 degree angle, so from r x (angular acceleration) = (linear acceleration) wouldn't we get r*aa=la --> aa=la/r.
That's the correct relationship.

Here is how I derived angular acceleration to linear acceleration:

> Radius*theta = ArcLength;
> d(Radius*theta)/dt = ds/dt;
> Radius*omega = V;
> d(Radius*omega)/dt = dV/dt;
> Radius*alpha = a;
> alpha = a/Radius;

here is a link for a clearer image:
http://killercatfish.com/RandomIsh/images/Derivation.png"

And this is what I came up with for the impulse:

> tau = Radius*`sinθ`*Force;
> Fnet = I*alpha;
> Fnet = I*a/Radius;
> Fnet = tau;
> MI := (1/2)*mass*(R^2+R[o]^2);
> Radius*Force = MI*alpha;
> Force = MI*`ΔV`/(`Δt`*Radius);
> Force*`Δt` = MI*`ΔV`/Radius;

here is a link for clearer image:
http://killercatfish.com/RandomIsh/images/Formula.png"

Could someone A, let me know if this is correct, and B, help me to understand how this will give me the radius which is the point of breaking?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
killercatfish said:
… how this will give me the radius which is the point of breaking?

Breaking what? You haven't set out the question … :confused:

HAHA! Oh man, thank you for pointing out the key flaw.. :)

This is to describe the breaking of a piece of toilet paper off the roll. I have read the other post on the site, but it wasnt heavily equation laden.

Thanks!

What is the relationship between linear and rotational variables?

The relationship between linear and rotational variables is that they are both types of motion. Linear motion is when an object moves in a straight line, while rotational motion is when an object rotates around a central axis.

How are linear and rotational variables related mathematically?

The mathematical relationship between linear and rotational variables is described by the equation v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of interest, and ω is angular velocity.

What are some examples of linear and rotational variables?

Examples of linear variables include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Examples of rotational variables include angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

How do linear and rotational variables affect each other?

Linear and rotational variables can affect each other in various ways. For example, a change in linear velocity can result in a change in angular velocity, and vice versa. Additionally, the direction of linear motion can determine the direction of rotational motion, and vice versa.

How do linear and rotational variables relate to each other in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, linear and rotational variables work together to describe the motion of objects. For example, the linear velocity of a car's wheels causes them to rotate, and the angular velocity of a spinning top causes it to move in a linear direction. Understanding the relationship between these variables is important in fields such as engineering and physics.