Basic Matrix Equations Questions

• Thread starter pandamninator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation is about rewriting a matrix equation as a system of equations. The person asking for help is struggling with understanding matrix equations and missed some lectures due to being sick. They are attempting a tutorial question and seeking guidance on how to approach the problem. There is a discussion about multiplying matrices and clarifying the notation used.
pandamninator

Homework Statement

Rewrite the following Matrix Equation as system of equations:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9681/equation1111dk8.th.jpg

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struck down with the flu for the last couple of days, so I missed 2 seemingly important Maths lectures, so I have had to rely on the online slides the lecturer put up at the end of the lectures. We are currently doing matrix equations, and have just been given an assignment on it, which is gibberish to me as all the questions are "formatted" differently if you get what I mean (Only doing Maths as it is a course requirement for one of my majors) to what is shown in the worked examples in the lecture slides.

I have chosen one of the tutorial questions from the tutorial sheet (I would've gone, but said flu screwed me over on that front again) so the above equation isn't part of the actual assignement, I just want to see the working process to figuring out the question so I can attempt the actual questions. If this against the rules, or in the wrong place, disregard topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let's see where you're at. First, do you know how to multiply matrices together?

pandamninator, that is about as trival a problem as you could find! I'll repeat Tom Mattson's question since it is the crucial one: What is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}2 \\ -4\end{array}\right]\left[ X\right][/tex]
and what exactly do you mean by "[X]"?

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is a mathematical equation that involves matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or variables. These equations often involve performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on matrices.

2. How do you solve a basic matrix equation?

To solve a basic matrix equation, you can use the properties of matrices to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable matrix. This can involve using operations such as matrix multiplication, inverse matrices, and Gaussian elimination.

3. What are the applications of matrix equations?

Matrix equations have many applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. They are used to represent and solve systems of equations, analyze data, and model real-world situations.

4. Can you provide an example of a basic matrix equation?

One example of a basic matrix equation is Ax = b, where A is a matrix, x is a variable matrix, and b is a constant matrix. This equation is used to solve for the values of x that make the equation true.

5. Are there any special rules for solving matrix equations?

Yes, there are some special rules for solving matrix equations. These include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as rules for matrix multiplication and finding inverse matrices. It is important to follow these rules carefully to ensure accurate solutions.