Find the equation for a parabola given 3 points

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for a parabola that passes through three given points using triple elimination. The participant is unsure of how to proceed with the given equations and asks for assistance. The expert summarizes the process of using a system of linear equations and matrix operations to solve for the coefficients of the parabola's equation. The conversation also touches on the concept of triple elimination, which is a classic method of solving equations in high school.
Doodledawg

Homework Statement

Find an equation for a parabola that passes through the following points. To solve you must use triple elimination, you may check you answer any way you wish

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so the points given were (1,-2) (-3,10) and (4,31)
I got to the point of making equations to olve with but then my brain hit a wall. What do i need to do next?
-2=a+b+c
10=9a -3b +c
and
31= 16a +4b +c

Physics news on Phys.org
i really am not good at quadratics

Doodledawg said:

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so the points given were (1,-2) (-3,10) and (4,31)
I got to the point of making equations to olve with but then my brain hit a wall. What do i need to do next?
-2=a+b+c
10=9a -3b +c
and
31= 16a +4b +c

This is a system of linear equations. There are several ways to solve for a,b, and c. One way is to use linear algebra and set up a matrix equation "Ax=b". Where A is the matrix with coefficients, x is vector [a b c] and b is vector [-2 10 31]
[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 1 & 1 \\
9 & -3 & 1 \\
16 & 4 & 1 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]
Now, solve for x

What you found is now a system of three simultaneous equations in three unknowns (which you've set up correctly), those unknowns being the coefficients of the equation for your parabola. Are you comfortable with solving such systems?

im not very comforable with them

okay i got down to b=2a-3
but i don't know where to go from here

konthelion said:
This is a system of linear equations. There are several ways to solve for a,b, and c. One way is to use linear algebra and set up a matrix equation "Ax=b". Where A is the matrix with coefficients, x is vector [a b c] and b is vector [-2 10 31]
[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 1 & 1 \\
9 & -3 & 1 \\
16 & 4 & 1 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]
Now, solve for x
I have to use triple elimination

okay i got the right answer with the matrices:
y=2x^2+x-5
but how do i find this through triple elimination?

Doodledawg said:
okay i got the right answer with the matrices:
y=2x^2+x-5
but how do i find this through triple elimination?
Could you explain what a triple elimination is? I've never heard this term before. Is this another name for Gaussian elimination?

no it's the classic way of doing things, we do it in high school.

Ok, so you have 3 equations:

[1]. -2=a + b +c
[2]. 10=9a -3b +c
[3]. 31= 16a +4b +c

Eliminate a by using 9 * [1] - [2] and then 16 * [1] - [3]

(-18 = 9a + 9b + 9c) - (10 = 9a - 3b + c) ---> -28 = 12b + 8c [4]
(-32 = 16a + 16b + 16c) - (31= 16a +4b +c) ---> -63 = 12b + 15c [5]

eq [4] - eq [5], should be left with c now.

Now solve for c

Plug c back into [4]

Solve for b

Now use eq [1], plug back b and c

Solve for a

yeah ok thx
im actually in high school and feel like a total idiot but thanks for helping me
i much appreciate it

What is a parabola and how is it represented mathematically?

A parabola is a curved shape that is commonly seen in mathematical equations. It is represented mathematically as a quadratic function in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

How can I find the equation for a parabola given 3 points?

To find the equation for a parabola given 3 points, you can use the method of substitution. Plug in the coordinates of the three points into the general form of a parabola equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c, and then solve the resulting system of equations to determine the values of a, b, and c.

What if the given points do not create a perfect parabola?

If the given points do not lie on a perfect parabola, you can still find an equation that approximates the curve. This can be done by using a regression analysis or by finding the best-fit parabola that passes through the given points.

Can I use a graphing calculator to find the equation for a parabola given 3 points?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to find the equation for a parabola given 3 points. Most graphing calculators have a function for finding the equation of a curve that passes through given points.

What are the practical applications of finding the equation for a parabola given 3 points?

There are many practical applications for finding the equation of a parabola, such as in physics for calculating the trajectory of a projectile, in engineering for designing curved structures, and in economics for modeling cost and revenue functions. It is also commonly used in data analysis to determine the trend of a set of data points.