Missing solutions to exercises in Shankar's book?

In summary, Mike's experience is that the majority of the exercises in the book do not have solutions, and the solution to the preface is a reprint of the first edition.
mikepinkerton
I just checked out the 1980 version of Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" from the library and started reading it after reading many rave reviews on Amazon.

In the prelude, on page xviii, he says "The answer to each exercise is given either with the exercise or at the end of the book." This could not be further from the truth. Most exercises have no solution, and the number of exercises solved at the end can be counted on all your fingers and maybe a few toes.

What am I missing? He clearly states the solutions are provided.

Now, before this degrades into a thread on whether or not I should be using answers, please don't. I know there are opinions on both sides. I just want to know what I'm clearly missing from the author's words. Sometimes I may want to use the solutions, that's my choice, and the author feels it important enough to provide them that he claims they are present.

Thanks
-Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
A few other posts mention a solutions guide. Is that what I should be on the lookout for, or...?

-Mike

Is it a terminology issue? Are there "exercises" within the chapters that provide examples of how to apply the chapter content that are distinct from "problems" or "questions" given at the end of chapters? Or, it might be a sentence carried over from an earlier edition...instructors using the text may have provided feedback that they didn't want all the answers available so they could assign some problems as homework, so maybe they removed solutions and left them just for "selected" examples?

I don't think it's a terminology or an edition issue. The exercises are inline, there aren't any at the end of chapters or sections. I'm looking at the first edition (1980). I'm not sure if the 2nd edition is any better, but given that there have been thousands of views of another thread looking for solutions, I'd doubt it.

-Mike

I only have the second edition handy, but it reprints the preface to the first edition, where he says only that answers for "most" of the exercises are provided. It does say in the prelude that the answer to "each" is provided, so I don't think it's a terminology thing, but definitely a mistake - and even so, when there are answers, that's all there is; no solutions.

I've never seen a solutions guide for Shankar (then again, I'm not a teacher) but it seems a lot of professors like using Shankar problems. If you need a solution, sometimes just a google search for the key words in the problem will deliver one.

I am trying to teach myself QM using Shankar's book. Unfortunately, not all of the the exercises have solutions (even though the introduction seems to say that solutions are in the text). If anyone knows where to find solutions it would be much appreciated. It is a bit difficult knowing if you actually understand something without a check.

Thanks.

1. Why are there missing solutions in Shankar's book?

There are a few possible reasons for missing solutions in Shankar's book. One possible reason is that the author may have intentionally left some exercises without solutions to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Another reason could be that the book is used in different educational institutions with varying curriculums, and some exercises may be assigned as extra credit or for further exploration. Additionally, the book may have been revised or updated, and some solutions may have been removed or changed.

2. How can I find solutions to missing exercises in Shankar's book?

If you are using the book for a course, you can consult with your instructor or teaching assistant for solutions to the missing exercises. You can also search online for solutions or reach out to online communities or forums for assistance. Another option is to refer to supplementary materials or solution manuals that may be available for purchase.

3. Are there any known errors in the missing solutions of Shankar's book?

It is possible that there may be errors in the missing solutions of Shankar's book, as with any other textbook. However, it is also important to note that the author may have intentionally left some exercises without solutions to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills. If you believe there is an error in a solution, you can consult with your instructor or reach out to the publisher for clarification.

4. Can I still understand the concepts without solutions to some exercises in Shankar's book?

Yes, you can still understand the concepts in Shankar's book without solutions to some exercises. The book is designed to provide a thorough understanding of the subject matter through explanations, examples, and illustrations. Additionally, you can also consult with your instructor or teaching assistant for clarification on any exercises that may be unclear.

5. How can I use the missing solutions in Shankar's book to study?

The missing solutions in Shankar's book can be used for self-study by attempting the exercises and then checking your answers with the available solutions. You can also use the missing solutions as a reference to compare your approach to problem-solving with the recommended solutions. Additionally, you can use the missing solutions as a study guide by focusing on the exercises that have solutions and understanding the concepts and techniques used to solve them.