Simple frictional forces and forces on boxes

• Thread starter metsjetsfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the first question involves finding the contact force between three boxes with different masses being pushed by a force of 7.5 N. The contact forces between boxes 1 and 2 is 1 N, and between boxes 2 and 3 is 3.59 N. The second question involves determining the force of friction acting on a 10 kg box on a horizontal floor with coefficients of static and kinetic friction of 0.4 and 0.3, respectively. The force of friction is equal to the applied force up to the maximum static friction, and for a force of 40 N, the force of friction would be 9.8 * 10 * 0.3.
metsjetsfan

Homework Statement

First question: A force of magnitude 7.5 N pushes three boxes with masses m1= 1.3 kg, m2=3.2 kg, and m3=4.9 kg. Find the contact force between

a-boxes 1 and 2
b-boxes 2 and 3

There is a diagram, so I'll try to describe it...it's pretty simple. The boxes are just sitting next to each other. From left to right, Box 1 is next to box 2 which is next to box 3, and the force is being applied to box 3 from the right.

Second question: A 10 kg box rests on a horizontal floor. The coefficient of static friction is .4 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is .3. Determine the force of friction acting on the box if a horizontal external applied force is exerted on it of magnitude:

a) 0 N b) 10 N c) 20 N d) 38 N e) 40 N

Homework Equations

for question 1, F=ma
for question 2, f=(coefficient of static/kinetic friction) * (normal force)

The Attempt at a Solution

First question: I really just don't understand the concept behind this. At first I thought that I needed to find the acceleration of the entire system, so

7.5 = (4.9+3.2+1.3) * a
a= .798

But then I'm not sure if I'm right with where I go now. I did:

let F= contact force between boxes 1 and 2 and
1.3 * .798= 7.5 N - F
F= 6.5 N

The answer is supposedly 1 N

for part b, I did pretty much the same thing except it was the mass of box 2, or 3.2, instead of 1.3.

The answer for b is 3.59 N

my main question is how do I know which box I use as the mass, and are these answers even right. My physics teacher is horrible, and I have no confidence in her answers as she has proven to me before...

For question 2, is the force of friction just the same as the applied force up until the max static friction or 9.8 * 10 * .4 which is 39.2. If so, then how do I get the answer for when the force is 40 N? Is it just 9.8 * 10 * .3?

Thanks for any help guys...this is my first time asking for an answer, and probably not the last time since my teacher is so incompetent...

Physics news on Phys.org
metsjetsfan said:
First question: I really just don't understand the concept behind this. At first I thought that I needed to find the acceleration of the entire system, so

7.5 = (4.9+3.2+1.3) * a
a= .798

Good.

But then I'm not sure if I'm right with where I go now. I did:

let F= contact force between boxes 1 and 2 and
1.3 * .798= 7.5 N - F
F= 6.5 N

The answer is supposedly 1 N

The force is being applied from the right, so the contact force between boxes 1 and 2 is just enough to cause box 1's acceleration to be 0.798...does that help?

For part(b), the force is just enough to push box 2 and box 1 at an acceleration of 0.798 :wink:

OOOOOOOOH, I understand now!

So force between box 1 and 2 is:

f=ma=1.3 * .798= 1

and force between box 2 and 3 is:

f= (1.3+3.2) * .798 = 3.59 N

IS THAT IT?

Also, could you answer my second question involving frictional forces?

Thanks a lot!

metsjetsfan said:
OOOOOOOOH, I understand now!

So force between box 1 and 2 is:

f=ma=1.3 * .798= 1

and force between box 2 and 3 is:

f= (1.3+3.2) * .798 = 3.59 N

IS THAT IT?

Also, could you answer my second question involving frictional forces?

Thanks a lot!

Looks good! :smile:

...now on to the second question:

For question 2, is the force of friction just the same as the applied force up until the max static friction or 9.8 * 10 * .4 which is 39.2. If so, then how do I get the answer for when the force is 40 N? Is it just 9.8 * 10 * .3?

seems reasonable to me!:approve:

I guess your physics teacher can't be that bad after all :wink:

Oh no...my teacher didn't teach me any of that. She just gave us the equation f=uk * N. I had to guess with the rest by getting my own textbook...

Thanks so much...you made everything clear with one sentence!

Your welcome; good luck with your studies! :smile:

1. What is simple frictional force?

Simple frictional force is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the two surfaces and is influenced by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces and the amount of force pushing the surfaces together.

2. How does simple frictional force affect the motion of an object?

Simple frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. It can also change the direction of an object's motion if it is not moving in a straight line.

3. What are some real-life examples of simple frictional force?

Some examples of simple frictional force include the friction between a car's tires and the road, the friction between your shoes and the ground when you walk, and the friction between a pencil and a piece of paper when you write.

4. How can we reduce the effects of simple frictional force?

We can reduce the effects of simple frictional force by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to reduce the amount of friction. We can also make surfaces smoother to reduce the roughness and the amount of friction between them.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already moving. Static friction is usually greater than kinetic friction.