Calculate Escape Velocity to Leave Solar System

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the necessary velocity for a spacecraft to escape the solar system after escaping Earth. The formula used is Vesc.=(2GM)/r, and the potential energies of both Earth and the Sun must be added together to determine the escape velocity. The conversation also clarifies that the radii of Earth and the Sun should not be added together, but the potential energies can be added.
hodgepodge

Homework Statement

when a spacecraft escapes from the earth, it still has to escape from the sun, in order to leave the solar system. at what velocity should a spacecraft be launched if it is 6.4x10^6 meters from Earth's centre and 1.5x10^11 meteres from the sun (M=2x10^30 kg) if it is to escape the solar system.

G=6.672x10^-11

Homework Equations

i think Vesc.=(2GM)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking to plug in the sun's mass for M, but for r, i was thinking to put in 6.4x10^6 + 1.5x10^11 for r, am i even using the right formula? I'm pretty sure that i am, i just am confused over the use of 2 distances

Physics news on Phys.org
You certainly wouldn't add the radii together.

But you can add the potential energies together such that the potential energy that you need to overcome with respect to Earth and the potential energy you need to overcome with respect to the Sun both can be figured and added which becomes the root sum of the squares of the individual escape velocities.

PE = GMe/Re + GMs/Rs = 1/2v2 - which is the KE needed.

(The m's of the space shot cancel out.)

In case you don't recognize that what you have is:

V2 = Ve2 +Vs2

thank you so much

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or star, and enter into a stable orbit or leave its gravitational influence entirely.

2. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object attempting to escape.

3. What is the escape velocity required to leave the solar system?

The escape velocity required to leave the solar system varies depending on the starting point and destination. However, on average, it would require a velocity of about 42.1 kilometers per second (26.2 miles per second) to leave the outermost reaches of the solar system.

4. How does escape velocity differ on different celestial bodies?

The escape velocity on different celestial bodies depends on their mass and size. For example, the escape velocity on Earth is about 11.2 kilometers per second (6.9 miles per second), while the escape velocity on the Moon is only about 2.4 kilometers per second (1.5 miles per second) due to its lower mass and weaker gravity.

5. Can anything travel faster than escape velocity?

Yes, it is possible for objects to travel faster than escape velocity if they receive additional acceleration from a source such as a rocket engine. However, this would require a significant amount of energy and is not currently achievable with our current technology.