Wavelength / Frequency notation

In summary, the conversation discusses electromagnetic waves and how they are represented in a graph. The graph shows the electric and magnetic field components of the wave, with the vertical axis representing the amplitude of the electric field and the horizontal axis representing the wavelength. The frequency of the wave can be calculated by finding the period, which is the distance between two peaks on the graph.
fasa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_waves

Please navigate to this link about electromagnetic waves. Scroll down a little you will see a drawing on left hand side under topic "Properties" which denotes electric and magnetic field components of light as an example of an electromagnetic wave.

Now let's examine this drawing. According to the letter "E" we understand that vertical axis denotes Amplitude of Electric field component and according to letter "M" we understand that the axis perpendicular to the screen right you are looking at now denotes Amplitude of Magnetic field component of the electromagnetic wave.

The point where i confused is when letter "lambda" mesures the distance between to following peaks. If this distance is Wavelength, it means that the horizontal axis must be in units of cm., mm., or km. ...

Ok let's accept it. Then please help me to understand where will i measure Frequency? Because when denoting frequency of a wave, horizontal axis is time domain. But i don't understand that how the shape remains same although we just change the domain what horizontal axis denotes.

I hope i explained what is my problem. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The graph of E is a "snapshot" of the moving wave at a particular instant of time. You start with the function

[tex]E = E_0 \sin (kx - \omega t)[/tex]

where [itex]k = 2\pi / \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\omega = 2\pi f[/itex]. Then you choose a particular value of t and make a graph of E versus x.

If instead, you choose a particular value of x, and make a graph of E versus t, you get a graph that shows how one point on the wave oscillates with time. The horizontal "distance" (time interval) between two peaks is the period, T, and the frequency is f = 1/T.

thank you.

1. What is wavelength / frequency notation?

Wavelength / frequency notation is a way of representing the relationship between a wave's wavelength and frequency. It is often used in scientific and mathematical calculations to describe the properties of different types of waves.

2. How is wavelength / frequency notation written?

In wavelength / frequency notation, the wavelength is typically represented by the Greek letter lambda (λ) and the frequency is represented by the letter nu (ν). The notation is written as λν.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: c = λν, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. How does wavelength / frequency notation apply to different types of waves?

Wavelength / frequency notation can be applied to any type of wave, including electromagnetic waves (such as light and radio waves) and mechanical waves (such as sound waves). It is a universal way of representing the properties of waves.

5. Why is wavelength / frequency notation important in science?

Wavelength / frequency notation is important in science because it allows us to accurately describe the properties of waves and make calculations based on these properties. It also helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of different types of waves, which is crucial in fields such as physics, astronomy, and telecommunications.