Paint Statue that changes color with weather/airpressure

In summary, the owls statues change color depending on the weather. ChristofHeh found one of these statues while moving and wants to know where he can find more of these statues or how he can make his own.
Christof999
Hello all,

I Found an old keepsake when I recently moved that I bought in Italy 15 years ago. It was a small statue of an owl that changed color when the weather was changing. It would be pink, blue most often or sometimes green. That statue itself didn't change, but rather it was the paint on it. The paint was kinda thick and sparkling. These statues were everywhere when I was there. Mine eventually wore out, and no longer changes but I got a good 3 years out of it. I think it is either moisture or air pressure that it responds to.

Now I am working on some meteorology courses and I really wanted to find out when I could get another statue, but even more, I really wanted to find out how the heck I could make this or buy this paint myself, so I could paint my own statue. I thought a simple web search would turn up lots of buying links and at least a few DIY guides for this stuff, but I found almost nothing. The only thing I found was a couple of links, one selling a religious "barometer statue". The statue had the same paint on it. So far this is the only trace of this stuffs existence I could find. Here are the links. The second one shows a statue someone ironically got in Rome.

http://www.littleflowersfamilypress.com/SHOP/chaltars03.htm
http://www.bdline.net/aftershow/2008/08/03/the-ever-changing-she-wolf/

Could someone please tell me what type of paint this is, what it might be called, where I might be able to buy the paint, or to buy the chemicals to make it? (I have a lot of wet chem experience, and a buying account with a distributor, so no need to worry about self injury) If anyone could even tell me where to get more of these statues or what they are called it would be a bit of a help.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Christof

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heh, yeah I remember having one of these. Never know what powered it though.

Cobalt chloride it is.

I had a postcard with a cloud painted with it, it was changing its color between blue and pink. There was even a poem written in Czech that stated something like "Color of cloud blue - wheteher is good, when it changes color - it can rain any time".

Czech version (as I remember it - I don't speak Czech) on request :wink:

1. How does the paint statue change color with weather/air pressure?

The paint statue is coated with a special type of paint that is sensitive to changes in weather and air pressure. When there is a change in the environment, such as a decrease or increase in air pressure or humidity, the paint will react and change color accordingly.

2. What kind of weather/air pressure changes can affect the color of the paint statue?

The paint statue is most sensitive to changes in humidity and air pressure. This means that changes in temperature, precipitation, and wind can all affect the color of the paint. For example, a decrease in air pressure may cause the paint to turn a darker color, while an increase in humidity may cause it to lighten.

3. Can the paint statue change color even if the weather/air pressure changes are subtle?

Yes, the paint statue is designed to be sensitive to even the slightest changes in weather and air pressure. This allows for a wide range of color changes and makes the statue a unique and dynamic piece of art.

4. How is the paint statue able to change colors without any external controls?

The paint used on the statue contains special pigments that respond to changes in the surrounding environment. These pigments have unique properties that allow them to change color without the need for any external controls or mechanisms.

5. Can the color changes on the paint statue be reversed?

The color changes on the paint statue are temporary and will revert back to its original color once the weather and air pressure conditions return to normal. However, if the weather and air pressure changes persist, the color transformation may become permanent.