Constant output voltage from a variable output voltage source

In summary, the person got a permanent magnet 2 1/4HP treadmill motor and a 1000 watt inverter. The inverter needs an input voltage of 11 to 15 volts DC, but if the input voltage falls below 11 volts it will sound a low voltage warning and shut off at 10.5 volts, and if the input voltage goes above 15 volts it will shut off. The person also got a belt to connect the motor to their bike, but there is no way to keep the voltage the motor puts out around 12 volts no matter how fast it is turning.
_HL4E_HalfLife_
What i got is a permanent magnet 2 1/4HP@130v DC treadmill motor and everyone know those work awesome as generators. I've also got a 1000Watt inverter which needs an input voltage of 11 to 15 volts DC. Now if the input voltage to the inverter drops below 11 volts it sounds a low voltage warning and will shut off at 10.5v, it will also shut off if the input voltage goes above 15v.

Now with this motor its easy enough to get 12v out of it but say i connected up the motor with a belt to my bike is there some way i can get the voltage the motor puts out to stay around 12 volts no matter how fast the motor is turning?

Engineering news on Phys.org
_HL4E_HalfLife_ said:
What i got is a permanent magnet 2 1/4HP@130v DC treadmill motor and everyone know those work awesome as generators. I've also got a 1000Watt inverter which needs an input voltage of 11 to 15 volts DC. Now if the input voltage to the inverter drops below 11 volts it sounds a low voltage warning and will shut off at 10.5v, it will also shut off if the input voltage goes above 15v.

Now with this motor its easy enough to get 12v out of it but say i connected up the motor with a belt to my bike is there some way i can get the voltage the motor puts out to stay around 12 volts no matter how fast the motor is turning?

No, not really. If you are almost stopped, you couldn't expect to get 12 volts out. However if you could accept a minimum speed then it might be possible. A switch-mode buck-boost converter might help over a reasonable range of voltages, but 1000 watts is serious power from a 12 volt source.

The problem is that it would need a fair bit of experience to develop something like that.

Also, generating 12 volts off load is very different to generating enough power to drive your inverter if it is fully loaded.

That motor would possibly generate 60 volts or so as a generator if it was running unloaded at its normal speed. So, it is very likely to develop too much voltage off load to drive your 1000 watt inverter and it would become very hard to rotate if it had a heavy load on it.

Maybe the motor could generate current to charge up a 12 volt battery and the battery could supply power for the inverter, perhaps with reduced load.

vk6kro said:
No, not really. If you are almost stopped, you couldn't expect to get 12 volts out. However if you could accept a minimum speed then it might be possible. A switch-mode buck-boost converter might help over a reasonable range of voltages, but 1000 watts is serious power from a 12 volt source.

The problem is that it would need a fair bit of experience to develop something like that.

Also, generating 12 volts off load is very different to generating enough power to drive your inverter if it is fully loaded.

That motor would possibly generate 60 volts or so as a generator if it was running unloaded at its normal speed. So, it is very likely to develop too much voltage off load to drive your 1000 watt inverter and it would become very hard to rotate if it had a heavy load on it.

Maybe the motor could generate current to charge up a 12 volt battery and the battery could supply power for the inverter, perhaps with reduced load.

I know i would have to at least reach a minimum rpm to make it generate the 12volts that's not a problem i just want it to stay around 12volts once it reaches it.

I've messed around with the motor quite a bit and at 6500rpms it generates 130volts dc which is not surprising because the motors rated top speed at 130v dc IS 6500rpms.
Also the inverter will never fully loaded with 1000watts it will at most be loaded with around 200 to 300watts. I hope this simplifies things somewhat.

There is a lot of information on Google if you type in "human power output".

THe absolute upper limit is half a horsepower for just a few minutes. 1 HP is 746 watts so half of this is 373 watts.
For a sustained output, you might be able to get 100 watts but you would soon get bored with it. And you are very likely to lose a lot of it converting it down to 12 volts.

However, it does seem like the wrong motor for the job. I wonder how an alternator from a car would go if you could get the regulator as well. The regulator is sometimes built in, anyway. It would be used with a battery, of course.

Maybe you could also have solar panels or a wind generator helping with the charging and you on a bike for those nights when there was no wind (or sun, of course).

1. What does it mean to have a constant output voltage from a variable output voltage source?

Having a constant output voltage means that regardless of changes in the input voltage or load, the output voltage from the source remains the same. This requires the source to have a mechanism in place to regulate the output voltage, such as using a voltage regulator.

2. How is a constant output voltage achieved from a variable output voltage source?

A constant output voltage is achieved by using a voltage regulation circuit or component, such as a voltage regulator. This circuit or component monitors and adjusts the output voltage to maintain a constant level, even if the input voltage or load fluctuates.

3. What are the benefits of having a constant output voltage from a variable output voltage source?

Having a constant output voltage ensures that the connected devices or circuits receive a stable and reliable power supply. This can prevent damage to sensitive components and improve the overall performance and longevity of the system.

4. Can a constant output voltage be maintained at any load level?

While most voltage regulators are designed to maintain a constant output voltage within a certain range of load, there are some that can maintain a constant output voltage at any load level. These are known as "ultra-low dropout" regulators.

5. Are there any limitations to having a constant output voltage from a variable output voltage source?

One limitation is that the voltage regulation circuit or component may introduce some ripple or noise into the output voltage. It is important to choose a reliable and high-quality regulator to minimize these effects. Additionally, maintaining a constant output voltage may require more power and may not be suitable for applications with strict power efficiency requirements.