Little Problem with phototransistor

• Thread starter anita1984
  • Start date
In summary, Anita suggested increasing the value of R2 until you get enough voltage. Bob suggested getting a LM324 quad opamp and wiring it up to give a gain of 2, 3, 4 or 5.
anita1984
Little Problem with phototransistor !

Hi Forum ,i am using a laser module, phototransistor SFH309-5, and 74HC14N (Circuit in the attachment) to detect the speed of the motor. On the Vout2 i measured frequency up to 2,8KHz when the speed of the motor is 28 000 RPM (because 6 reflected beam every rotation). But when i increase the motor to 32 000 RPM the frequency on Vout2 is 500Hz , and it should be 3,2KHz , what can be the problem ?
Thank you in advance ,

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 511
Engineering news on Phys.org

You're missing pulses (pulses are joining together) because either the pulse width from the mirrors is too narrow or the photo transistor is too slow (possibly due to saturation) or a combination of both.

You need to look at the waveform on pin 1 (74HC14) to determine exactly which is the case.

Hello uart , i tried to measure the pulses on Pin 1 of the 74HC14 , i read a 3,2KHz and 1,1Volt ,when the speed of the motor is 32 000RPM , which is true i think that 74HC14 needs near 3,3V to work properely , i think to increase the valu2 of R2 is a good idea? do you recommand it to me ?
Have a nice day,
Anita

Last edited:

I would definitely increase the value of R2 as 1.1V probably isn't enough for your uC to detect. I would bump it up to at least 10kOhm and get a minimal voltage of 1.8V.

uart said:
1. Increase R2 until you do get enough voltage.

2. You might be a bit better off with Vcc=5 volts

You were already told this last week in your thread regarding the same circuit.

You'll need to post a sketch (or photo etc) of the actual waveform at pin 1 if you want a definitive dignosis of what's wrong.

If R2 is too high, the RC time constant with distributed capacitance in coax cables, etc. may be too high. You need to discharge the cable in less than 10 microseconds.
Bob S

Even at its best this circuit is only just managing to work because you need almost the full supply voltage as output just to drive the 74C14.

There is a chip that might help. It is the 74C04 which has the same pinout as the one you are using but it has inverters in it that can be used as amplifiers.

74C04 amplifier.PNG

As an amplifier, you can treat it like an opamp, so the gain is equal to the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor.

You only need a gain of 2 or 3 to get a square wave output that is equal in height to the supply rails.

You would have to experiment with the resistor values, but I would start with 10 K as the feedback resistor and 3.3 K as the input resistor. Definitely use a 5 volt supply.

OR, you could just get a LM324 quad opamp and wire up one of the opamps to give a gain of 2, 3, 4 or 5 and see how you go after that. This is only amplifying 3 KHz, so it is not a difficult job.

1. What is a phototransistor?

A phototransistor is a type of light-sensitive transistor that transforms light energy into electrical energy. It is often used in electronic devices to detect and measure light levels.

2. How does a phototransistor work?

A phototransistor works by using a semiconductor material that is sensitive to light. When light hits the material, it causes the flow of electricity to change, which can be measured and used to determine the light intensity.

3. What are the common applications of phototransistors?

Phototransistors are commonly used in devices such as light meters, solar panels, and automatic lighting systems. They are also used in optical communication systems and in devices that require light detection, such as smoke detectors.

4. What are the advantages of using a phototransistor?

The main advantage of using a phototransistor is its sensitivity to light. It can detect even small changes in light levels, making it useful in a variety of applications. Additionally, phototransistors are small, inexpensive, and easy to integrate into electronic circuits.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks of using a phototransistor?

One limitation of phototransistors is that they can be affected by ambient light, leading to inaccurate readings. They also have a limited spectral range, meaning they may not be sensitive to certain types of light. Additionally, phototransistors can be susceptible to damage from high levels of light or electrical interference.