Copper wire attached to the terminals of a cell

In summary, a diagram shows a flexible copper wire attached to the terminals of a dry cell with a strong circular magnet attached to the side of the cell. The interaction between the current in the wire and the magnetic field of the magnet causes the wire to levitate. In a different arrangement with the magnet reversed and the terminals also reversed, the wire would still levitate due to the two reversals canceling out and following Flemings Left Hand Rule. This rule states that if you point two fingers in opposite directions and your third finger stays in the same place, the direction of the force will be in the same direction as your third finger. Therefore, in both arrangements, the force would be acting downwards.
Masafi
A diagram shows a flexible copper wire attached to the terminals of a dry cell.

A strong circular magnet, 12 mm in diameter, is attached to the side of the cell. The interaction between the current in the wire and the magnetic field of the magnet causes the wire to levitate

i.e.
_____+
l
l [s n]
l____ -

The dashed and straight lines represents the copper wire attached to the 2 terminals, with a magnet attached in the middle of the cell.

Now the same thing is given, but the magnet reversed, as well as the terminals:

_____-
l
l [N S]
l____ +

Explain what would happen to the wire in the following arrangement.

The answer is:

Wire would levitate again
Two reversals cancel/applying Flemings Left Hand Rule

I don't understand what this means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Masafi said:
Two reversals cancel/applying Flemings Left Hand Rule

I don't understand what this means?

Hi Masafi! :smile:

If you use the Left Hand Rule, and point two of your fingers in the opposite directions, your third finger will stay in the same place. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
If you use the Left Hand Rule, and point two of your fingers in the opposite directions, your third finger will stay in the same place. :wink:

Thanks, so how do I apply that here? Which finger is pointing where?

You tell us

what is Flemings Left Hand Rule? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
You tell us

what is Flemings Left Hand Rule? :smile:

I know what it is, but I don't get how you apply it here. The direction of current is known (+ to -) , but force and the direction in which B field applied is not given?

How does this relate to the previous arragement?

What I can think is using the direction of B field to be from N to S pole, so that would mean force acts down in the initial arrangment, as well as the 2nd one...

1. What is the purpose of attaching copper wire to the terminals of a cell?

The copper wire serves as a conductor, allowing the flow of electrons between the cell's terminals. This flow of electrons is what creates an electrical current that can be used to power devices.

2. Can any type of wire be used to connect to a cell's terminals?

While copper wire is the most commonly used material for connecting to cell terminals, other conductive materials such as aluminum or gold can also be used. It is important to choose a wire that is compatible with the specific type of cell and its voltage.

3. Why is copper specifically used for wire in electrical applications?

Copper is a highly conductive material, meaning it allows for the efficient flow of electrons. It is also relatively inexpensive and readily available, making it a practical choice for use in electrical wiring.

4. Is there a specific way to connect the copper wire to the cell's terminals?

Yes, the wire should be securely attached to the terminals using a method such as twisting or soldering. It is also important to ensure that the wire is not touching any other conductive materials to prevent short circuits.

5. Can copper wire attached to a cell pose any safety risks?

If the wire is not properly insulated or if it becomes damaged, it can pose a risk of electric shock. It is important to handle the wire with caution and ensure it is not damaged or exposed before use.