Tricky complex numbers question

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation z² + (-3 + 2i)z + 5 - i = 0, given that √(-15 - 8i) = ±(1 - 4i). The attempt at a solution involves separating the equation into real and imaginary parts, but this method does not lead to the correct solutions. The correct approach is to use the quadratic formula on the original equation.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Harder: given that
√(−15 − 8i) = ±(1 − 4i) obtain the two solutions of the equation
z² + (−3 + 2i)z + 5 − i = 0

Homework Equations

I can easily prove √(−15 − 8i) = ±(1 − 4i) but that's not important

The Attempt at a Solution

I would of thought that a compex solution would be a + b and a - b, but a quick glance at the answers shows 2 completely different complex numbers - no complex conjugates.

Well seperating the equation into real and imaginary parts then solving for z:
real:
(z² - 3z + 5) = 0
=> [tex] z = \frac{3\pm i \sqrt{11}}{2}[/tex]

imag:
(2z - 1) = 0
=> z = 0.5

This isn't taking me anywhere nice...

Ideas!? :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't separate it into real and imaginary parts like that, z itself is probably complex. Just use the quadratic formula on the original equation.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component.

What makes complex numbers tricky?

Complex numbers can be tricky because they follow their own set of rules and operations that may not be intuitive. For example, multiplying two complex numbers involves multiplying both the real and imaginary components separately and then combining them.

How are complex numbers used in science?

Complex numbers have many applications in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to represent quantities that have both a magnitude and direction, such as in AC circuits or electromagnetic waves.

What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is any number that can be represented on a number line, including both positive and negative numbers. A complex number, on the other hand, contains both a real and imaginary component and cannot be represented on a number line.

Can complex numbers have decimal or fractional components?

Yes, complex numbers can have decimal or fractional components in both the real and imaginary parts. For example, 2.5 + 3.2i is a valid complex number.