Range of a Matrix Transformation linear algebra

A plane through the origin. If you think of b_1 and b_2 as "x" and "y" coordinates, that is the plane z= 5x+ 14y. In summary, the given matrix A and vector b do not have a solution for every b in R3. The solution set for Ax=b is described as a plane through the origin with the equation z=5x+14y.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

Given,
A =
[ 1 -3 4;
-3 2 6;
5 -1 -8]

b =
[b_1;
b_2;
b_3]
Show that there does not exist a solution to Ax = b for every b in R3 and describe the set of all {b1,b2,b3} for which Ax = b does have a solution.

Homework Equations

row reduction

The Attempt at a Solution

I row reduced until I got the following augmented matrix:
[ 1 -3 4 | b_1;
0 1 (-18/7)| (b_2 + 3*b_1)/7;
0 0 8 | b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2]
I'm confused about this because I was lead to believe that since there is a pivot for every value then there should exist a solution for every b in R3. And There is in fact a pivot in every row. Can someone explain to me if there is a solution or not and why please. I'm just not seeing why there wouldn't be one. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you wrote down the matrix correctly? In particular, is the 4 in the first row supposed to be a -4?

vela said:
Are you sure you wrote down the matrix correctly? In particular, is the 4 in the first row supposed to be a -4?

oops, wow I feel dumb. I even double checked it. So, I had the right idea at least right?

ok so with that -4 in place I got the matrix to be:

[ 1 -3 -4 | b_1;
0 1 (6/7)| (b_2 + 3*b_1)/7;
0 0 0 | b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2]

from this i can see that there isn't an answer for all b in R3. The 2nd part of the question asks "describe the set of all {b1,b2,b3} for which Ax = b does have a solution"

this would be where b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2 is equal to zero. Otherwise there would be no solution. Would I just write this or do i need to say something about b1 and b2? Would i need to say that b1 and b2 could be anything? Or how would I go about saying that?

It depends on what "describe" means here. You might be expected to give a geometric interpretation of the solution set.

SpiffyEh said:
ok so with that -4 in place I got the matrix to be:

[ 1 -3 -4 | b_1;
0 1 (6/7)| (b_2 + 3*b_1)/7;
0 0 0 | b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2]

from this i can see that there isn't an answer for all b in R3. The 2nd part of the question asks "describe the set of all {b1,b2,b3} for which Ax = b does have a solution"

this would be where b_3-5*b_1 - 14*b_2 is equal to zero. Otherwise there would be no solution. Would I just write this or do i need to say something about b1 and b2? Would i need to say that b1 and b2 could be anything? Or how would I go about saying that?
Good: [itex]b_3- 5b_1- 14b_2= 0[/itex] and you can write that as [itex]b_3= 5b_1+ 14b_2[/itex] so that
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}b_1 \\ b_2 \\ b_3\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} b_1 \\ b_2 \\ 5b_1+ 14b_2 \end{pmatrix}= b_1\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 5\end{pmatrix}+ b_2\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 14\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Geometrically, what is that?

1. What is the range of a matrix transformation in linear algebra?

The range of a matrix transformation refers to the set of all possible output values that can be obtained by applying the transformation to a given set of input values. In other words, it is the collection of all possible vectors that can be produced by multiplying the transformation matrix with any input vector.

2. How is the range of a matrix transformation calculated?

The range of a matrix transformation can be calculated by finding the span of the columns of the transformation matrix. This can be done by row reducing the matrix and identifying the pivot columns, which correspond to the linearly independent columns. The range will then be the span of these columns.

3. Why is the range of a matrix transformation important in linear algebra?

The range of a matrix transformation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the transformation and its effect on the input vectors. It also gives us information about the dimension and span of the output vector space, which can be useful in solving problems related to linear transformations.

4. Can the range of a matrix transformation be larger than the input vector space?

No, the range of a matrix transformation cannot be larger than the input vector space. This is because the output vectors are obtained by multiplying the transformation matrix with the input vectors, and the dimensions of the matrices must match for multiplication to be possible. Therefore, the range can never contain more vectors than the input vector space.

5. How does the range of a matrix transformation relate to the null space?

The range and null space of a matrix transformation are complementary. This means that any vector in the input vector space that is not in the null space must be in the range, and vice versa. In other words, the null space contains all the vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the transformation, while the range contains all the other possible output vectors.