Finding the general solution to the DE

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation using the general solution, and the difficulties encountered in integrating a particular term in the equation. The suggested method for solving the integral is through integration by parts.
x11010

Homework Statement

(x^2)yy' = e^x

Homework Equations

general solution to the DE

The Attempt at a Solution

first i changed y' to dy/dx

(x^2)y(dy/dx) = e^x

then divided both members by x^2 and multiplied both members by dx

ydy = (e^x)dx/(x^2)

or

ydy = (x^-2)(e^x)dx

how do i integrate (x^-2)(e^x)dx?

Physics news on Phys.org
∫ex/x2 dx doesn't have an elementary antiderivative. Did you copy down the problem correctly?

yeah. i copied it correctly..you may want to take a look at the problem statement..

anyways, are there any methods to solve x-2exdx?

or how do i solve this DE? it is the only problem in my homework that i couldn't slove.

If you wanted you could integrate by parts to get:

[tex]\int \frac{e^x}{x^2} dx = Ei (x) - \frac{e^x}{x} + C[/tex]

where Ei(x) is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral" . It doesn't really matter though, as Differential Equations are generally considered solved if your solution is a finite combination of known functions and integrals of known functions.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the general solution to a differential equation?

The general solution to a differential equation is a formula or set of equations that can be used to find the solution to any particular instance of the differential equation. It includes all possible solutions and often contains arbitrary constants that must be determined using initial conditions.

2. How do you find the general solution to a differential equation?

To find the general solution to a differential equation, you must first solve the equation by integrating both sides. This will result in a formula or set of equations that contain an arbitrary constant. Then, you can use initial conditions to determine the value of the constant and obtain a specific solution.

3. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a formula or set of equations that includes all possible solutions to a differential equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies given initial conditions. The general solution often contains an arbitrary constant, while a particular solution does not.

4. Can a general solution be used to find a particular solution?

Yes, a general solution can be used to find a particular solution. By using initial conditions, you can determine the value of the arbitrary constant in the general solution and obtain a specific solution that satisfies those conditions.

5. Are there different methods for finding the general solution to a differential equation?

Yes, there are different methods for finding the general solution to a differential equation, depending on the type of equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The method used will depend on the specific characteristics of the equation.