Hypervelocity stars and RX J0822-4300

• Thread starter Redsummers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about computing the gravitational force exerted by a fast-moving neutron star, RX J0822-4300. There were questions about which equations to use, with the suggestion to use General Relativity if considering relativistic effects. It was also mentioned that for a rotating star, the Kerr metric should be used instead of the Schwarzschild solution. The conversation ended with a consideration of sensitivity and accuracy in the calculations.
Redsummers
I was wondering what would be the gravitational force caused by stars with high speed. As an example, I was trying to compute the gravitational force exerted by RX J0822-4300. This radio-quiet neutron star has a radial velocity of 1500Km/s (i.e. 0.5% c).

The thing is that I am not quite sure which equations should be used in this problem. My guess would be to use General Relativity, since I need to bring relativity in the Universal Law of Gravity. Still, I don't know how should I proceed.

Imagine that you are the observer outside the RX J0822-4300.

P.S. This is not homework, just that I am wondering if this would be an application for General Relativity.

Physics news on Phys.org
At 0.005 c you are not going to have much in the way of relativistic effects due to velocity. So you can essentially just use the Schwarzschild metric if you are looking at forces very close to the star. If you are outside of a few Schwarzschild radii then I think that you can probably get away with just using Newtonian gravity. All depending, of course, on the sensitivity/accuracy needed.

Oh okay, I think I can live with this approximation then. I have another question, if we were to find the gravitational force by a pulsar, rotating very rapidly, would there be any variation compared to the way you just mentioned above?

Thanks for the answer, DS.

Well, for a rotating star you would want to use the Kerr metric instead of the Schwarzschild solution, but other than that the comments are the same. It all depends on how close you are and how sensitive/accurate you need to be.

That's great, thank you for your input.

1. What are hypervelocity stars?

Hypervelocity stars are stars that are traveling at extremely high speeds, often exceeding 1 million miles per hour. These speeds are much faster than the average speed of stars in our galaxy, and are thought to be caused by interactions with supermassive black holes at the center of the galaxy.

2. How are hypervelocity stars formed?

Hypervelocity stars can be formed through a process known as "stellar slingshotting", where a star gets too close to a supermassive black hole and is flung out at high speeds. They can also be formed through the explosion of a companion star in a binary system, propelling the remaining star away at high speeds.

3. What makes RX J0822-4300 unique among hypervelocity stars?

RX J0822-4300 is unique because it is the first hypervelocity star to be discovered in our own galaxy, the Milky Way. Most hypervelocity stars are found in other galaxies, but this one was discovered in 2005 and is thought to have originated from the center of our own galaxy.

4. How far away is RX J0822-4300?

RX J0822-4300 is located approximately 3,000 light years away from Earth. This is relatively close in astronomical terms and allows for detailed observations and studies of this hypervelocity star.

5. What can studying hypervelocity stars and RX J0822-4300 tell us about the universe?

Studying hypervelocity stars and RX J0822-4300 can tell us more about the dynamics of our galaxy and the interactions between stars and supermassive black holes. It can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the distribution of dark matter in our galaxy. Additionally, studying these objects can help us better understand the processes that lead to the ejection of stars from their galaxies, offering insights into the larger structure and evolution of the universe.