Finding the constants in a general solution

In summary: What a complete and utter waste of everyone's time. In summary, the instructor said that x(t) = (1/6)*cos(16t) which is the same as saying x(0)=1/6. This was a completely useless tidbit of information.
rygza
I have

x(t) = C(sub1) sin(16t) + C(sub2) cos(16t)

Given: initial position x(0) = 1/6
so:
1/6 = C(sub1) sin(0) + C(sub2) cos(0)
1/6 = C(sub2)

but how do i find C(sub1)? I am not given initial velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have:

C1*sin(16t)+(1/6)cos(16t)=0

It's possible to isolate C1 here with simple algebra. What do you get when you try this?

No, you don't have enough information to determine [tex]C_1[/tex].

C1 = (-1/6)*(cos(16t)/sin(16t))

im a allowed to do that (set the eq. to zero)?

also, the book answer is x(t) = (1/6)*cos(16t)
so C1 must be zero, but i cannot solve for C1(cant plug in initial position 0 because that would be dividing by zero.

C1 is not a constant if it depends on 1/tan(16t).
Besides, that comes from assuming that x(t) is zero everywhere, which you did not state in the problem.

You have only presented one equation to extract information from: x(0)=1/6. It is not possible to determine both constants from one piece of information. Any value for [tex]C_1[/tex] is consistent with the information you have given us. Is there more?

sooo sorry. I've been reading the problem over and over (it's actually a mass on spring problem). It uses the term "from rest", meaning initial velocity is 0. Now when i solve for the constants i get

0 = 16C1 and C1 = 0

Wow, an hour wasted because i missed that part

Good start on any problem to count the number of unknowns and see what information you need to hunt 'em down :-)

I once watched a calculus lesson on a local educational station. The problem was the typical "a rock is dropped from height...". In the middle of the problem the instructor said "We are not told the initial speed so we will take that to be 0." I nearly threw a brick through the television screen!

What are the constants in a general solution?

The constants in a general solution refer to the unknown values that are added to a particular solution to form the general solution. They are represented by letters such as C or K and are used to account for any variations or differences in the solution.

Why is it important to find the constants in a general solution?

Finding the constants in a general solution is important because it allows us to find a solution that satisfies all possible initial conditions. It also helps us to understand the behavior and properties of the solution as a whole.

How do you find the constants in a general solution?

The constants in a general solution can be found by substituting the given initial conditions into the general solution and solving for the unknown values. This is usually done by using algebraic principles and techniques.

Can there be more than one set of constants in a general solution?

Yes, there can be more than one set of constants in a general solution. This is because the general solution accounts for all possible initial conditions and therefore, different values of the constants may be needed for each set of initial conditions.

What is the significance of the constants in a general solution?

The constants in a general solution have a significant role in determining the behavior and properties of the solution. They can affect the shape, stability, and uniqueness of the solution. Therefore, understanding and finding the constants is crucial in fully understanding the solution.