Calculating Current in a Series Circuit with Multiple Resistors and a Battery

In summary, the resistors in this circuit are connected in series with a 6V battery. The total resistance is 10 ohms and the current through each resistor is 6V/10 ohms. The current through the battery is not explicitly stated due to the assumption of an "ideal" voltage source.
benhorris
Three resitors values 2, 3 and 5 ohms are connected in series whith a battery of 6 V. Caluclate the current through each resistor and the current through the battery.

My answers, (which are wrong) lol.

Current through battery = V =IXR = 6/0 = 0 A

This is my other problem, is the current through a series circuite the same if so do i add all the resistor values up then work out the current? This is so simple to what I am used to its confusing me! Help any one... :cry: :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Resistors in series add resistance values like this:

[tex]R_\textrm{total} = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_N[/tex]

In this case, the total resistance is 10 ohms. The current through each resistor must be the same, since they are in series. A 6V battery driving a 10 ohm load will deliver 6V / 10 ohms of current. The current through each resistor is thus just 6V / 10 ohms.

The current through the battery is, in fact, the hard part of this question. For the sake of most easy electronics problems, you can assume the battery is an "ideal" voltage source with unspecified internal mechanism. Current can be assumed to flow through it in the same way that it flows through the resistors. The ideal battery contributes no resistance to the circuit, but somehow generates a potential difference and causes the electrons to move through it.

- Warren

Thank you very very much warren, great help... :-)

1. What is current through a circuit?

Current through a circuit refers to the flow of electric charge through a closed path or circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is often represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is current through a circuit calculated?

The current through a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the current through a circuit?

The current through a circuit is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Other factors such as temperature and length of the circuit can also play a role.

4. How does the current flow in a circuit?

Current always flows from the positive terminal of a power source, through the circuit, and back to the negative terminal. This is known as a complete circuit, and without it, no current can flow.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) refer to the direction of the current flow in a circuit. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in one direction only. Most household circuits use AC current, while batteries and electronic devices use DC current.