Map complex line to complex circle

In summary, the task is to find the Linear Fractional Transformation that maps the line Re(z) = 1/2 to the circle |w-4i| = 4. This can be achieved by first shifting the line to the imaginary axis and then mapping it to the interval [0,2pi). Next, [0,pi) is mapped onto the unit circle, which is then scaled and shifted to its given center and radius. The final transform can be calculated using the equations provided.
bmanbs2

Homework Statement

Find the Linear Fractional Transformation that maps the line [tex]Re\left(z\right) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex] to the circle [tex]|w-4i| = 4[/tex].

Homework Equations

For a transform [tex]L\left(z\right)[/tex],

[tex]T\left(z\right)=\frac{z-z_{1}}{z-z_{3}}\frac{z_{2}-z_{3}}{z_{2}-z_{1}}[/tex]

[tex]S\left(w\right)=\frac{w-w_{1}}{w-w_{3}}\frac{w_{2}-w_{3}}{w_{2}-w_{1}}[/tex]

For [tex]S\left(w\right) = \frac{aw+b}{cw+d}[/tex]

[tex]S^{-1} = \frac{-dw+b}{cz-a}[/tex]

And the final transform is [tex]L\left(z\right) = S^{-1}\left(T\left(z\right)\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate the transform for any three points to any other three points, so may I just pick any three points on the line and the circle? If not, how do I pick the correct three points?

Physics news on Phys.org
not the only way to do it but i would break it into the following steps for clarity

- start with the line Re(z) = 1/2, given by z(y) = 1/2+iy
- shift the line to the imaginary axis Re(z)=0
- map the line to the interval [0,2pi), this part is the key step
- map [0,pi) onto the unit circle
- scale and shift the circle to its given centre and radius

1. What is a complex line and a complex circle?

A complex line is a one-dimensional geometric figure that extends infinitely in both directions and is defined by complex numbers. A complex circle is a two-dimensional geometric figure that consists of all points that are a fixed distance from a central point, known as the center, and is also defined by complex numbers.

2. How do you map a complex line to a complex circle?

To map a complex line to a complex circle, you need to use a function known as a Mobius transformation. This function takes a point on the complex line and maps it to a point on the complex circle, preserving the angles between the points. The specific Mobius transformation used will depend on the specific line and circle being mapped.

3. What is the purpose of mapping a complex line to a complex circle?

Mapping a complex line to a complex circle can help simplify complex mathematical problems and make them easier to visualize. It can also be used to transform a problem from one coordinate system to another, making it easier to solve.

4. Are there any limitations to mapping a complex line to a complex circle?

One limitation is that not all complex lines can be mapped to complex circles. The Mobius transformation used must be a one-to-one function, meaning each point on the line must map to a unique point on the circle. Additionally, the line and circle must be defined by complex numbers for a Mobius transformation to work.

5. Can a complex line be mapped to multiple complex circles?

Yes, a complex line can be mapped to multiple complex circles using different Mobius transformations. Each transformation will result in a different circle, but all of these circles will share the same properties and relationships as the original line.