What is constant velocity? This is in a question of moving charge.

In summary, the author is trying to set up a situation where there is no acceleration, in order to determine if a particle has a constant velocity.
yungman
This is in a question of finding retarded potential where the point charge is moving at constant velocity.

The book let the charge pass through the origin at t=0 so [tex]\vec w(t) = \vec v(t)[/tex] which I don't understand.

This might be a stupid question. velocity is a vector with amplitude and direction. So what is the meaning of constant velocity?

Of cause I know |v|= constant, but does constant velocity implies it travel in a straight line because traveling in a curve is not consider constant velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
A constant velocity is one where the derivative of that motion is zero. Traveling in a curve would require an acceleration (if moving in a circle, that acceleration is v^2/r), in which case the derivative of that velocity would not be zero.

Regarding the w(t) = v(t), I assuming they just want to set up a situation where there was no acceleration to get to the velocity v.

And I think it would be more correct to say the velocity vector has a magnitude, rather than an amplitude. Amplitudes are found in wave functions. However, to determine if something has a constant velocity, one would either need the velocity function, or would have to take measurements of the velocity at different times. If one took the tangential velocity of a particle moving about a circle, each vector measured would be "straight," in the sense it only has a direction and magnitude, but if I measured the velocity again at another point, it would not be pointing in the same direction.

One cannot find the derivative of a vector through normal differentiation, I believe you need the covariant derivative for that (dont quote me here ;)).

yungman said:
Of cause I know |v|= constant, but does constant velocity implies it travel in a straight line because traveling in a curve is not consider constant velocity?

simple answer …

yes :smile:

Thanks all.

Constant velocity refers to the motion of an object at a steady speed in a straight line. In the context of a moving charge, it means that the charge is moving at a consistent speed and in a consistent direction. This is important to consider when calculating the retarded potential, as the charge's velocity affects the strength and direction of the potential at different points in space.

In the context of the given scenario, the charge is passing through the origin at t=0, meaning it has a velocity vector \vec w(t) that is equal to its velocity vector \vec v(t). This simply means that the charge is moving at a constant velocity, and the direction of its velocity does not change over time.

It is important to note that constant velocity does not necessarily mean the object is moving in a straight line. It is possible for an object to have a constant velocity while moving in a curve, as long as the magnitude and direction of its velocity remains constant.

In summary, constant velocity refers to the steady motion of an object at a consistent speed and direction. In the context of a moving charge, it is important to consider when calculating the potential at different points in space.

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the motion of an object at a steady speed, with no changes in direction. In the context of a moving charge, it refers to the consistent speed at which the charge is moving along a particular path.

2. How is constant velocity calculated for a moving charge?

The constant velocity of a moving charge can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the charge by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What factors can affect the constant velocity of a moving charge?

The constant velocity of a moving charge can be affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance, as well as the charge's mass and the strength of the electric field it is moving through.

4. How does constant velocity differ from average velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the speed of an object at a specific point in time, while average velocity takes into account the total distance traveled and time taken to calculate an average speed. In the case of a moving charge, the constant velocity would be the speed at any given moment, while the average velocity would be the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken.

5. Can a moving charge have constant velocity in a circular path?

No, a moving charge cannot have constant velocity in a circular path. This is because the direction of the charge is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path, even if the speed remains the same. In order for a charge to have constant velocity, it must be moving in a straight line with no changes in direction.