Vant Hoff factor problem. General chem 2

In summary, the van't Hoff factor for KCl is i= 1.85 and the Kb for water is 0.51. To find the boiling point of a 0.50 m solution of KCl in water, the equation (Delta Tb) = Kb x m x i can be used. However, it is important to remember to add the calculated increase to the original boiling point of water to get the final answer.
Torshi
The van't Hoff factor for KCl is i= 1.85. What is the boiling point of a 0.50 m solution of KCl in water? For water, Kb = 0.51.

I have the equation which i believe is (Delta Tb)= Kb x m x i ??

m= molality... = .50 m
Kb is given 0.51
i is given 1.85

I have to have 5 sig figs and the answer i get is .47175, but that's not right supposedly. What I'm I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are they asking for the increase in the boiling point...or the NEW boiling point? The formula you have gives you the increase but you have to add the number you get to the original boiling point. So here you would add your answer to the boiling point of water. Common mistake people forgetting the last step...

1. What is the Vant Hoff factor?

The Vant Hoff factor, also known as the Van't Hoff factor, is a unitless coefficient that represents the number of particles formed in a solution for every molecule of solute that dissociates or ionizes.

2. How is the Vant Hoff factor calculated?

The Vant Hoff factor is calculated by dividing the number of particles present in a solution after dissociation or ionization, by the number of particles that were originally present in the undissociated or unionized solute. This can be represented as i = n/n₀ where i is the Vant Hoff factor, n is the number of particles after dissociation, and n₀ is the number of particles before dissociation.

3. What is the significance of the Vant Hoff factor in chemistry?

The Vant Hoff factor is important because it helps determine the colligative properties of a solution, such as boiling point elevation, freezing point depression, and osmotic pressure. It also provides insight into the degree of dissociation or ionization of a solute in a solution.

4. What factors can affect the value of the Vant Hoff factor?

The Vant Hoff factor can be affected by several factors, including the type of solute, temperature, concentration, and the nature of the solvent. For electrolytes, the presence of other ions in the solution can also impact the value of the Vant Hoff factor.

5. How does the Vant Hoff factor problem relate to general chemistry 2?

The Vant Hoff factor problem is a common topic in general chemistry 2 as it relates to the study of solutions and colligative properties. It is used to understand the behavior of solutes in solutions and how different factors can affect their dissociation or ionization. It also helps students develop a deeper understanding of the principles of equilibrium and chemical reactions in aqueous solutions.