How do i determine which valence is being used (balancing equations)

In summary, when balancing chemical equations, if a metal has multiple valences, it is important to determine which valence is being used. This can be done by looking at the compound it is in, such as in Au2(SO4)3 where the valence of gold is +3 to balance the sulfate ions. If the metal is given as a free metal, the valence is 0.
supernova1203
In balancing chemical equations, we are given let's say the reactants side of the equation and asked to find the products and balance if neccesary, if a metal(usually transition) has multiple valences, how do i know which of the valences is being used?

this has given me trouble to no end @_@

Physics news on Phys.org
for instance look at this, Au has a valence of +1, +2 and +3 so how would i know beforehand which valence they are using? This equation is already balanced and the work is done for us, but in case it isnt, how do i determine that?

here we go

I know the polyatomic ions have only 1 valence so that's not the problem, the sulphate has a valence of 2

This is a website i got off someone on these forums a few days ago, it shows what i am talking about, some of them have several valences..

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa122002a.htm

hope you can see the attachment i have linked in this thread.

Attachments

• balancing online question.jpg
    balancing online question.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 540
You know the valence by looking at the salts shown. For instance, in Au2(SO4)3, the valence of the gold has to be +3 for each gold ion to balance the +2 of each of the 3 sulfate ions. The bromide salts are even easier.

pmsrw is correct. If they are giving it to you as a free metal the valence is 0. Otherwise you look at the compound it is in.

1. How do I determine the valence of an element?

The valence of an element can be determined by looking at its position on the periodic table. Elements in the same group or column have the same valence. For example, all elements in group 1 have a valence of 1, while elements in group 2 have a valence of 2.

2. What is the purpose of balancing equations?

Balancing equations is necessary to ensure that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This means that the number of atoms of each element in the reactants must be equal to the number of atoms of the same element in the products.

3. How do I know which valence is being used in a chemical reaction?

The valence being used in a chemical reaction can be determined by looking at the charges of the ions involved. For example, if an ion has a charge of +2, it indicates that the element is using its valence of 2 in the reaction.

4. What is the best way to balance an equation?

The best way to balance an equation is by using the trial and error method. Start by balancing the elements that appear only once on each side of the equation, and then move on to the elements that appear more than once. It may take a few attempts to balance the equation correctly.

5. Can the valence of an element change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the valence of an element can change in a chemical reaction. This can occur if the element gains or loses electrons, resulting in a change in its charge and therefore its valence. For example, iron can have a valence of +2 or +3 in different reactions.