How to Prove a Limit in Calculus

• Thread starter djh101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving limits, where the goal is to show that for all ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that |x - 9| < δ implies |\sqrt{x - 5} - 2| < ε. The conversation also includes an exploratory argument to determine the appropriate value for δ, which is then used to work backwards and prove the limit.
djh101

Homework Statement

Prove the limit. I'm not entirely sure how to prove limits, the book doesn't go into much detail.

Homework Equations

Lim x→9 √(x-5) = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Prove |x - 9| < δ

|√(x-5) - 2| < ε
2 - ε < √(x - 5) < 2 + ε
ε2 - 4ε + 4 < x - 5 < ε2 + 4ε + 4
ε2 - 4ε < x - 9 < ε2 + 4ε
δ = ε2 + 4ε

Physics news on Phys.org
djh101 said:
Lim x→9 √(x-5) = 2

For proving limits, you need to show that, for all [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex], there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that

[itex]|x - 9| < \delta \implies |\sqrt{x - 5} - 2| < \varepsilon[/itex]

So to begin, choose an [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex]. Then you need to choose a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that the above implication is true.

djh101 said:

Homework Statement

Prove the limit. I'm not entirely sure how to prove limits, the book doesn't go into much detail.

Homework Equations

Lim x→9 √(x-5) = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Prove |x - 9| < δ
No, that isn't what you are trying to prove. The problem is to figure out a δ > 0 that will make your next inequality true if 0 < |x - 9| < δ.

|√(x-5) - 2| < ε
You can tell by looking that if x is close to 9 then |√(x-5) - 2| will be close to zero, but how close x needs to be to 9 depends on how small ε is. The next few steps might be called an exploratory argument

2 - ε < √(x - 5) < 2 + ε
ε2 - 4ε + 4 < x - 5 < ε2 + 4ε + 4
ε2 - 4ε < x - 9 < ε2 + 4ε
δ = ε2 + 4ε

Without multiplying those squares out you have

(2-ε)2 - 4 < x - 9 < (2+ε)2 - 4

Notice that the left side is negative (at least if ε < 2) and the right side is positive, so this is almost n the form

-δ < x - 9 < δ

but the δ on the left would be 4 - (2-ε)2 and the δ on the right is (2+ε)2 - 4

Figure out which of those is the smaller and use it for δ. Then you can reverse your argument like this:

Given ε > 0 let δ = [your minimum value here]. Then if |x - 9| < δ [work your steps backwards here to end up with |√(x-5) - 2| < ε.

Last edited:
Okay, so I've come down to δ1 = -ε2 + 4ε and δ2 = ε2. δ1 will be smaller so δ = -ε2 + 4ε.

So, [itex]\forall[/itex] ε > 0, [itex]\exists[/itex] δ = -ε2 + 4ε > 0 such that |[itex]\sqrt{x - 5}[/itex] - 2| < ε whenever |x - 9| < δ, therefore Lim x→4 (9-x) = 5.

Am I on the right track?

djh101 said:
Okay, so I've come down to δ1 = -ε2 + 4ε and δ2 = ε2. δ1 will be smaller so δ = -ε2 + 4ε.

So, [itex]\forall[/itex] ε > 0, [itex]\exists[/itex] δ = -ε2 + 4ε > 0 such that |[itex]\sqrt{x - 5}[/itex] - 2| < ε whenever |x - 9| < δ, therefore Lim x→4 (9-x) = 5.

Am I on the right track?

Word it like this. Given ε > 0, let δ = -ε2 + 4ε. (People will think WOW! Where did that come from because you aren't going to show them that scratch paper with the exploratory argument.) But at this point, you can't just assert |[itex]\sqrt{x - 5}[/itex] - 2| < ε whenever |x - 9| < δ because why would anyone believe you? You have to show the steps working backwards in your exploratory argument. So the next step would be to show, explaining how you know, that if |x - 9| < δ then

(2-ε)2 - 4 < x - 9 < (2+ε)2 - 4

so you can proceed working backwards to your conclusion:
|[itex]\sqrt{x - 5}[/itex] - 2| < ε

Okay, I think I get it. Thanks you.

1. What does the notation "Lim x→9" mean?

The notation "Lim x→9" means that we are looking at the limit of a function as x approaches the value 9. This means we are interested in the behavior of the function as x gets closer and closer to 9.

2. How do we prove a limit using the square root function?

In order to prove a limit using the square root function, we need to use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit. This involves showing that for any small positive number (epsilon), we can find a corresponding small positive number (delta) such that the absolute value of the difference between the function output and the limit (2) is less than epsilon whenever the input (x) is within delta units of the limit point (9).

3. Why is the limit of √(x-5) equal to 2 when x approaches 9?

The limit of √(x-5) is equal to 2 when x approaches 9 because the function becomes increasingly closer to 2 as x gets closer to 9. We can see this by plugging in values of x very close to 9, such as 8.9 or 9.1, and seeing that the output is very close to 2.

4. Can we use a graph to prove the limit of this function?

Yes, we can use a graph to visually show the limit of a function. In this case, we would graph the function √(x-5) and see that as x approaches 9, the graph approaches a horizontal line at y=2. This indicates that the limit as x approaches 9 is 2.

5. Is the limit of √(x-5) equal to 2 only at x=9?

No, the limit of √(x-5) is equal to 2 at all values of x, not just x=9. This means that as x approaches any value, the limit will still be 2. However, the limit is only equal to 2 for the specific function √(x-5). If we were to change the function, the limit may be different at other values of x.