Environmental / Chemical Engineering Problem Help

Use this constant, along with the concentration of hydroxyl ions and the temperature, to calculate the concentration of magnesium ion remaining in solution. The answer is 0.1367 mg/L, which can be found by plugging in the given values into the equilibrium expression and solving for the unknown concentration.
ride5150
I have a environmental engineering problem to do for homework, it goes like this:

How many mg/L of magnesium ion will remain in solution in water that is 0.001000 M in hydroxyl ion and at 25 degrees celsius?

the answer is 0.1367 mg/L, but i don't know how it was found.

to be honest I am not even sure where to begin, for some reason i can't find the section in my book that deals with problems like this. if anyone could point me in the right direction id greatly appreciate it, or maybe tell me what topic i should look under in my book.

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of magnesium hydroxide in aqueous solution.

1. What is the role of environmental/chemical engineering in addressing environmental problems?

Environmental/chemical engineering plays a critical role in addressing environmental problems by applying principles of engineering and science to protect and preserve the natural environment. Through the use of innovative technologies and processes, environmental/chemical engineers work to reduce pollution, conserve resources, and improve the overall health of our planet.

2. Can you provide examples of environmental/chemical engineering problems?

Some common environmental/chemical engineering problems include air and water pollution, waste management, and climate change. These issues can arise from industrial activities, transportation, agriculture, and other human activities. Environmental/chemical engineers work to develop solutions to these challenges through a combination of design, analysis, and problem-solving skills.

3. How do environmental/chemical engineers approach problem-solving?

Environmental/chemical engineers use a systematic approach to problem-solving, which involves identifying the problem, gathering data and information, developing potential solutions, evaluating those solutions, and implementing the most effective solution. They also consider factors such as cost, environmental impact, and societal concerns when developing solutions.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in environmental/chemical engineering?

A successful career in environmental/chemical engineering requires a combination of technical knowledge, analytical skills, and problem-solving abilities. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important, as environmental/chemical engineers often work with a variety of professionals to develop and implement solutions to environmental problems.

5. How can I get help with an environmental/chemical engineering problem?

If you are facing an environmental/chemical engineering problem, you can seek help from a professional environmental/chemical engineer or consult with a team of experts. Many universities and organizations also offer resources and support for individuals seeking assistance with environmental/chemical engineering problems.