Integration Using Partial Fractions

In summary, the problem involves integrating the function (x^3 - 8x^2 - 1)/((x+3)(x^2-4x+5)) using partial fractions. After finding the values of A, B, and C in the decomposition, the integrand is rewritten in order to make a substitution of u = x^2 - 4x + 5. This involves manipulating the numerator to get a form that can be substituted. The final step involves integrating the rewritten function.
drmatth

Homework Statement

Integrate (x^3 - 8x^2 - 1)/((x+3)(x^2-4x+5))

Homework Equations

This is an integration by partial fractions.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+%28%28x^3-8x^2-1%29%2F%28%28x%2B3%29%28x^2-4x%2B5%29%29%29dx

I understand everything except where the integrand is rewritten after finding A, B, and C of the partial fraction decomposition. If anyone can help me understand how the integrand is rewritten that would be great. I just cannot make any sense out of it.

Thanks

Edit: If anyone is unfamiliar with WolframAlpha there is a "show steps" button in the top right corner of the problem statement, this is what I am referring to. It is about the 4th step down, rewrite the integrand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a screenshot of the part I am asking about.

Attachments

• wolframalpha-20111003193359972.gif
    wolframalpha-20111003193359972.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 432
They're starting with this part of the problem:
[tex]\int \frac{14 - 41x}{x^2 - 4x + 5}dx[/tex]

What they're doing is manipulating things that that a substitution of u = x2 - 4x + 5 (hence du = (2x - 4) dx) will work.

To get a numerator of -41/2*x + 82, which equals -(41/2)(2x - 4), they need to keep the numerator unchanged, so they are subtracting 68.

14 - 41x = -41x + 82 - 68 = -41/2(2x - 4) - 68

Yep I see it. I noticed the differential so I thought it was a substitution but I just could not get my head around the manipulation. Thank you for breaking it down for me.

What is "Integration Using Partial Fractions"?

"Integration using partial fractions" is a method used to simplify complex integrals by breaking them down into smaller fractions. This is done by expressing a fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with different denominators.

When is "Integration Using Partial Fractions" used?

"Integration using partial fractions" is typically used when the integrand (the expression inside the integral) is a rational function, meaning it can be expressed as a ratio of polynomials. It is also commonly used in calculus and engineering courses when dealing with integrals.

What is the process of "Integration Using Partial Fractions"?

The process of "Integration using partial fractions" involves breaking down a rational function into smaller fractions, setting up an equation with unknown coefficients, and solving for those coefficients using algebraic manipulation. The resulting fractions are then integrated separately, making the overall integral easier to solve.

Why is "Integration Using Partial Fractions" useful?

"Integration using partial fractions" is useful because it allows us to simplify complex integrals and make them more manageable to solve. It also helps us apply integration techniques that are more familiar and easier to use, such as the power rule or substitution method.

Are there any limitations to "Integration Using Partial Fractions"?

Yes, there are limitations to "Integration using partial fractions". This method can only be used for rational functions, meaning the integrand must be a ratio of polynomials. It also cannot be used for improper fractions, where the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator.