Stiffness and dumping coeficients of a VW Golf

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining information on the stiffness and damping coefficients of a VW Golf IV 1.6 16V (2003) for the purpose of estimating and calculating the transfer function of the car's quarter model. The request for help is directed towards finding the front suspension's stiffness (K) and damping (C) coefficients, and the suggestion is made to read a race car suspension class on a forum for more understanding of weight transfer and required springs and shocks.
cvt-extroid
stiffness and damping coeficients of a VW Golf

Hi!
I need information about the VW Golf IV 1.6 16V(2003). I need to estimate and calculate the transfer function of the quarter model car so i need the coeficients of stiffness (K) (N/m) and damping (C) (Ns/m) of the front suspension, its important to complete my work so i'll be very grateful if someone can help me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi cvy-extroid - as a fellow new person to PF I feel bad that you haven't had any responses - perhaps you can be more specific as to your needs?

Hi! cvt-extroid
what is Suspension type.I think that is technical data.Do you know data of coil spring
example total turn,wire diameter which if know I can calculate for you but damping coeficient I think you should test and calculate.

read race car suspension class on this forum...you can get pretty good idea of weight trnasfer and required springs shocks etc...

1. What are stiffness and dumping coefficients?

Stiffness and dumping coefficients are two parameters used to describe the handling characteristics of a vehicle. Stiffness coefficient measures the resistance of a vehicle's suspension to compression, while dumping coefficient measures the rate at which energy is dissipated by the suspension.

2. How are stiffness and dumping coefficients calculated?

Stiffness and dumping coefficients are typically calculated through experiments and simulations, where the suspension of the car is subjected to various forces and its response is measured. The resulting data is then used to determine the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of stiffness and dumping coefficients in a VW Golf?

In a VW Golf, stiffness and dumping coefficients play a crucial role in determining the car's handling and ride quality. These coefficients affect how the car responds to bumps, turns, and other road conditions.

4. How do stiffness and dumping coefficients affect the performance of a VW Golf?

The stiffness and dumping coefficients of a VW Golf can greatly impact its performance. A higher stiffness coefficient can improve the car's stability and handling, while a lower dumping coefficient can result in a smoother ride. However, these coefficients need to be carefully balanced to ensure optimal performance.

5. Can the stiffness and dumping coefficients of a VW Golf be adjusted?

Yes, the stiffness and dumping coefficients of a VW Golf can be adjusted by changing the suspension components or using adjustable suspension systems. This allows for customization of the car's handling and ride quality to suit individual preferences.