A flat, square surface with side length

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic flux through a flat surface in the xy-plane at z=0. After multiplying the given magnetic field vector by the area of the square, there is a discrepancy in the calculated value for the flux. It is suggested to consider the angle between the normal line of the surface and the magnetic field lines, as well as dropping the negative sign when taking the magnitude. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A flat, square surface with side length 3.00cm is in the xy-plane at z=0 .

Calculate the magnitude of the flux through this surface produced by a magnetic field

B=(0.150T)i+(0.350T)j-(0.500T)k

What I'am doing is I know that the magnetic flux= BAcos(theta)

So I multiply my vector B by 0.03m and get (0.0045)i+(0.0105)j, and z=0 so I can ignore that value.

Then they are asking for the magnitude, so √(0.0045)^2+(0.00105)^2= 0.00462Wb , however that is not giving me the correct answer, what am I missing?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What angle theta are you using for the magnetic flux?

Also, what's the area of a square? Seeing as a Tesla is 1 Wb/m^2, multiplying by 0.03m should get you an answer of Wb/m, not Wb.

Theta is not given so I assumed it was just 0degrees

Theta is the angle between the "normal" line of your plane and the magnetic field lines. It would be 0 degrees if the magnetic field lines were parallel with the normal (therefore perpendicular), but this is not the case here. You'll have to find the angle from the vector you're given.

Le Answer

Use the BAcos(theta) formula to find the flux. But since the Magnetic field vector is given, keep in mind that flux operates perpendicular to the field, so all you really have to do is calculate (B_k)(A)cos(90). And you'll be squaring that number and then taking the root so because you only have one term in the "magnitude finding" process, just drop the negative sign.

Lol I finished that class about 8 months ago. Thank you though

Likes VS9

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a flat, square surface with side length?

The formula for finding the area of a flat, square surface with side length is A = s^2, where A is the area and s is the length of the side.

2. How do you calculate the perimeter of a flat, square surface with side length?

The perimeter of a flat, square surface with side length can be calculated by multiplying the length of one side by 4, since all sides of a square are equal in length.

3. Can a flat, square surface have a negative side length?

No, a side length cannot be negative as it represents a physical measurement and cannot have a negative value.

4. What is the difference between a flat, square surface and a flat, rectangular surface?

The main difference between a flat, square surface and a flat, rectangular surface is that a square has all equal sides, while a rectangle has two pairs of equal sides but they are not all equal.

5. How do you determine the diagonal length of a flat, square surface with side length?

The diagonal length of a flat, square surface with side length can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, where c represents the diagonal length, and a and b represent the two equal sides. The formula is c = √(a^2 + b^2).