Ideal Transformer current relationship and problems of B-H relationship

In summary: It will be a combination of two sinusoidal components, one leading and one lagging the voltage by one quarter cycle.
phwcssin
When I read the lecture notes about the ideal transformer, I have some problems about the proof of current relationship i1/i2=N2/N1=1/a.The proof is shown below.

Current Relationships of ideal transformer:
To get the current relationships use ampere's law
mmf= ∫H•ds= N1i1+N2i2’
H x length = N1i1+N2i2’
(B x length)/μ = N1i1+N2i2’
Assuming uniform flux density in the core
(φ x length)/( μ x area) = N1i1+N2i2’
If μ is infinite then 0 = N1i1+N2i2’ Hence i1/i2’= -N2/N1 or i1/i2=N2/N1=1/a

Questions:
1.when μ becomes infinity , is B still directly proportional to H here (is B=μH still worked )?

2.If μ becomes infinity then by B=μH as H has some values ,B becomes infinitely large?? μ=∞ ; B=μH=∞? But B will go saturated in reality...It contradicts that B=μH.
If B≠μH then mmf =Hl≠ φ x (l/μS) where l/μS is the reluctance .
Is the reluctance l/μS not suitable for the saturation region of B-H curve?3. I have read the book Power System Analysis by William D. Stevenson (P.45),the author said that B is not infinitely large,therefore integral value of must equal to zero.I don't understand his explanation.Can anyone explain in details to me? Thanks.

Another question: in reality,there is flux leakage around the core ,how can we use the ampere 's circuital law to calculate them?The leakage flux have many path...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, phwcssin and welcome to Physics Forums.

What book did you obtain these formulae from?
Tshey seem a cumbersome way to derive tranformer operation equations.

If the applied voltage is sinusoidal, the flux in the core will be sinsoidal and lags the voltage by one quarter cycle.

However because of the hysteresis curve the magnetising current will not be sinusoidal and cannot be represented by a phasor.

1. What is the mathematical relationship between the current in the primary and secondary coils of an ideal transformer?

The current in the primary coil is inversely proportional to the number of turns in the secondary coil, while the current in the secondary coil is directly proportional to the number of turns in the secondary coil. This relationship is known as the transformer equation and is expressed as I1/I2 = N2/N1, where I1 and I2 are the currents in the primary and secondary coils, and N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, respectively.

2. What is an ideal transformer?

An ideal transformer is a theoretical concept used in electrical engineering to simplify calculations and analysis. It is a transformer that has no losses, meaning that all the energy supplied to the primary coil is transferred to the secondary coil without any losses due to resistance, leakage, or hysteresis. It also has no magnetic saturation, meaning that the magnetic flux remains constant regardless of the current in the coils.

3. What are some problems with the B-H relationship in transformers?

The B-H relationship, also known as the magnetization curve, is used to describe the relationship between the magnetic field strength (H) and the magnetic flux density (B) in a material. However, in real transformers, this relationship is not linear and can be affected by factors such as temperature, frequency, and the core material used. This can lead to non-ideal transformer behavior, such as hysteresis losses and magnetic saturation, which can affect the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

4. How can the problems with the B-H relationship be mitigated in transformers?

One way to mitigate the problems with the B-H relationship is by using transformer core materials that have a high magnetic permeability, such as iron, silicon steel, or ferrite. These materials can reduce the effects of hysteresis and magnetic saturation, resulting in a more efficient and stable transformer. Additionally, using proper design techniques and choosing the right core shape and size can also help mitigate these issues.

5. Are there any real-world applications where the ideal transformer model can be applied?

The ideal transformer model is mainly used for theoretical analysis and calculations. However, it can also be applied in some real-world applications, such as in power transmission and distribution systems, where the losses and saturation effects are minimal. It is also used in electronic devices, such as power adapters and chargers, where the input and output voltages need to be stepped up or down without significant losses.