Tension in Cord: Same or Different?

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the tension in the cord attaching all masses will not be the same as it is divided into different segments by the masses. The cord has no mass and the masses are all equal, but for some purposes, the three masses lying on the horizontal surface can be considered as one mass of 3m. However, for finding the tension in the cord, each segment must be treated separately. The tension in each segment will vary depending on the number of masses it is pulling.
peripatein
Hi,
Will the tension in the cord attaching all masses (see diagram) be the same (one tension T for the entire system) or will there be different tensions? It is stated that the cord has no mass and the masses are all the same. Furthermore, may I consider the 3 masses lying on the horizontal surface as one mass of 3m?

Attachments

• Tension.jpg
    Tension.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
Hi,
Will the tension in the cord attaching all masses (see diagram) be the same (one tension T for the entire system) or will there be different tensions?
What do you think? Since the masses are connect by the cord, what must be the same for each?
It is stated that the cord has no mass and the masses are all the same. Furthermore, may I consider the 3 masses lying on the horizontal surface as one mass of 3m?
Depending up what you are trying to find, you can treat any grouping of the masses as a single system. For some purposes you may want to consider the three masses as a single mass of 3m; for other purposes you may want to consider each mass separately. Up to you and what you need to solve for.

Will the tension in the cord attaching all masses (see diagram) be the same (one tension T for the entire system) or will there be different tensions?
Do the free body diagram for each mass. Look at the one for the mass on the table nearest the pulley. What does that tell you about the tensions?
may I consider the 3 masses lying on the horizontal surface as one mass of 3m?
It depends what you do with it. For some equations it would be valid.

I think the tension would be similar throughout the cord as it is a massless cord and one and the same. Am I wrong?

peripatein said:
I think the tension would be similar throughout the cord as it is a massless cord and one and the same. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. If the cord were not broken up by those masses and was one continuous piece, then you'd be correct. Since the segments are divided by masses, you must treat them as independent cords, each with its own tension.

Imagine you had to pull that chain of masses with some given acceleration. Would pulling three masses require the same force as pulling one?

But the masses are equal. Why can't I just regard it as a uniform mass of 3m?

peripatein said:
But the masses are equal. Why can't I just regard it as a uniform mass of 3m?
For some purposes, you can. (As I said earlier.) But that doesn't mean the tension in the cord segments are all the same.

What are you trying to determine?

The tension in the cord

peripatein said:
The tension in the cord
Which piece? All of them? They each will have a different tension.

How many masses is the cord furthest to the left pulling? How many masses is the cord second furthest from the left pulling? How many masses is the cord third furthest from the left pulling?

1. What is tension in a cord?

Tension in a cord refers to the amount of force or pull that is being exerted on the cord. It is a measure of how tight or stretched the cord is.

2. Is tension the same in all cords?

No, tension can vary depending on the type and thickness of the cord, as well as the amount of force being applied to it. Cords with a larger diameter or made of stronger materials will have a higher tension than thinner or weaker cords.

3. How is tension different from weight?

Tension and weight are two different concepts. Weight refers to the force exerted by an object due to gravity, while tension is the force being applied to a cord. Tension can be caused by weight, but it can also be caused by other forces such as pulling or stretching.

4. Can tension in a cord change?

Yes, tension in a cord can change depending on the external forces acting on it. For example, if more weight is added to the cord, the tension will increase. If the cord is stretched, the tension will also increase. If the weight is removed or the cord is relaxed, the tension will decrease.

5. How is tension in a cord measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a spring scale or a tension meter, which can provide a numerical value for the amount of tension in a cord.