What are the important subjects for GATE mechanical?

In summary, the important subjects for GATE mechanical include Production Technology, Engineering Mathematics, General Aptitude, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Fluid Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Thermodynamics and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Machine Design, Engineering Mechanics, Theory of Machines, and Heat and Mass Transfer. These subjects have an average weightage of marks and are essential for a good understanding of mechanical engineering principles.
virat
what are the important subjects for GATE mechanical...?:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by GATE ?

My general answer is to challenge you to make a GATE, test it to failure, then identify the mode of failure. If it does not fail, build another GATE on a lower budget and break that by using it under normal operating conditions. Continue that process until you cannot reduce the cost and you will know the important subjects. A good engineer will do it all in her head.

Baluncore said:
What exactly do you mean by GATE ?

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, I expect.

ha yes, i am saying about Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.

Hi Virat,
From GATE perspective I am writing the subjects as per their average weightage
1:Production Technology.(18-20 Marks)
2:Engineering Mathematics.(12-15 Marks)
3:General Aptitude (15 Marks)
4:Industrial Engineering and operations research (8-9Marks)
5:Fluid Mechanics(8-9Marks)
6:SOM (8-10Marks)
5:Thermodynamics,RAC(12-14 Marks)
6:Machine Design(5-6 Marks)
7:Engineering Mechanics (3-4 Marks)
8:Theory of machines (8-10 Marks)
9:HMT (6-7 Marks)

1. What are the important topics to cover in Gate mechanical subjects?

The important topics to cover in Gate mechanical subjects include engineering mechanics, strength of materials, theory of machines, thermal engineering, and manufacturing processes. These topics cover the basic principles of mechanical engineering and are essential for understanding more advanced concepts.

2. How can I prepare for Gate mechanical subjects?

To prepare for Gate mechanical subjects, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the basic concepts and principles. Practice solving numerical problems and refer to standard textbooks for reference. Additionally, taking mock tests and solving previous years' question papers can also help you prepare effectively.

3. Are there any specific books or study materials for Gate mechanical subjects?

Yes, there are many books and study materials available specifically for Gate mechanical subjects. Some popular ones include "Gate Guide Mechanical Engineering" by G.K. Publications, "Mechanical Engineering for Gate" by R.K. Kanodia, and "Gate Mechanical Engineering" by Made Easy Publications. You can also refer to online resources and video lectures for additional help.

4. What is the difficulty level of Gate mechanical subjects?

The difficulty level of Gate mechanical subjects can vary from year to year. However, on average, the questions are of moderate to high difficulty level. It is important to have a strong foundation in the basic concepts and practice solving problems regularly to perform well in these subjects.

5. Can I use a calculator during the Gate mechanical subject exam?

Yes, you can use a non-programmable scientific calculator during the Gate mechanical subject exam. However, it is important to note that the calculator must be approved by the exam conducting authority and any programmable calculators or electronic devices are not allowed.