Phase angle between peak source voltage and peak voltage across RLC?

In summary: You found the RMS voltage using I = Vsource/Z. After that you found the voltage across each component by multiplying the individual impedances by the RMS voltage. You can then use this information to find the functions that are part of the phase shift equation.
Loopas

Homework Statement

An LRC series circuit with R = 200Ω , L = 31mH , and C = 1.8μF is powered by an ac voltage source of peak voltage V0 = 540V and frequency f = 550Hz. What are the peak voltages across the inductor, capacitor, and resistor and their phase angles relative to the source voltage?

Homework Equations

Phase shift = [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex]([itex]\frac{XL - XC}{R})[/itex]

I already found the peak voltages across the components.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to find the phase angles between the source voltage and the peak voltage across the circuit components. Is the phase angle between the voltages found using this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't want to say no, but not necessarily, the phase shift function is different for all circuits. Basically, you have a real part and an imaginary part (this comes from your complex analysis that I'm assuming you've done already).

You'll end up with something like this:
[itex]
V_{out} = V_{in}(f(R,L,C) + g(R,L,C)i)[/itex]
and this corresponds to the phase shift,

What you get is:
[itex]\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{g(R,L,C)}{f(R,L,C)})[/itex]

See where this comes from? just plot it and I think it becomes rather obvious. The imaginary term is the y-axis and the real part is the x-axis.

Suggestion: Start by finding the impedance values for each of the components (complex representation). Then write the total impedance as their sum, Z = R + ZL + ZC. Find the current phasor for the circuit from the given source voltage and total impedance, I = E/Z, where E is the given 540V. Can you then find the individual voltage drops in their complex forms?

your v_out function (g and f) include all your
[itex][STRIKE]Z[/STRIKE]_{c} & X_{L} and R[/itex] terms. probably should've mentioned that previously.

Last edited:
Well I have [itex]\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{XC}{\sqrt{R^{2}+(XL-XC)^{2}}}[/itex]

How can I apply this to finding those functions that are part of the phase shift formula?

gneill said:
Suggestion: Start by finding the impedance values for each of the components (complex representation). Then write the total impedance as their sum, Z = R + ZL + ZC. Find the current phasor for the circuit from the given source voltage and total impedance, I = E/Z, where E is the given 540V. Can you then find the individual voltage drops in their complex forms?

Is the individual impedance of the capacitor equal to XC? And for the inductor XL and resistor R?

I found the RMS voltage using I = Vsource/Z. After that I found the voltage across each component by multiplying the individual impedances by the RMS voltage.

Loopas said:
Is the individual impedance of the capacitor equal to XC? And for the inductor XL and resistor R?
Impedance is a complex value. XL and XC are called reactances, which is the magnitude of the impedance for those components. To make it more clear, the impedances of the three components are:

ZR = R + 0j = R
ZL = 0 + jωL = jXL
ZC = 1/(jωC) = -jXC

I found the RMS voltage using I = Vsource/Z. After that I found the voltage across each component by multiplying the individual impedances by the RMS voltage.

Since you're looking for peak values according to the question statement, and since the source voltage is given as a peak value, there's no reason to involve RMS conversions. And I think you meant that you found the current, not the voltage, using Vsource/Z. Other than that terminology issue your method sounds okay. Can you show your results?

Loopas said:
Well I have [itex]\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{XC}{\sqrt{R^{2}+(XL-XC)^{2}}}[/itex]

How can I apply this to finding those functions that are part of the phase shift formula?

If you have that, then you have:
[itex]V_{out}[/itex] = [itex]V_{in}\frac{XC}{\sqrt{R^{2}+(XL-XC)^{2}}}[/itex]

And I'm confused... is it XC or [itex]X_{c}[/itex]

But basically your goal at this point is to separate the real part (the R in the denominator) from the imaginary part the XC's and XL's and do what I said previously.

To clarify (again) where the v_in is is irrelevent. I just threw it on the RHS to relate it to my previous post.

1. What is the phase angle between peak source voltage and peak voltage across RLC?

The phase angle between peak source voltage and peak voltage across RLC is the angular difference between the two voltages at a given point in time. It is measured in degrees or radians and represents the phase relationship between the two voltages.

2. How is the phase angle between peak source voltage and peak voltage across RLC calculated?

The phase angle can be calculated by using the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine. The ratio of the difference between the peak voltages and the total voltage is used to calculate the phase angle. It can also be determined by using a phase angle meter or oscilloscope.

3. What does a positive or negative phase angle indicate?

A positive phase angle indicates that the peak voltage across RLC leads the peak source voltage, meaning that the peak voltage is reached before the peak source voltage. A negative phase angle indicates that the peak voltage lags behind the peak source voltage, meaning that the peak voltage is reached after the peak source voltage.

4. How does the phase angle affect the behavior of RLC circuits?

The phase angle between peak source voltage and peak voltage across RLC is an important factor in determining the behavior of RLC circuits. It determines the resonance frequency of the circuit and affects the current and power flow through the circuit. It also plays a role in determining the stability of the circuit.

5. How can the phase angle be adjusted in RLC circuits?

The phase angle can be adjusted by changing the values of the components in the RLC circuit, such as the resistance, inductance, and capacitance. By altering these values, the phase angle can be shifted to optimize the performance of the circuit. Other factors such as the frequency of the source voltage can also affect the phase angle.