Need Math advice a.s.a.p please

• Thread starter accesskb
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to find a way to finish a course in a month and get a grade of 75+. He has been given some advice, but is still worried. He recommends that he read the material and understand it before attempting the problems, that he make a list of all the material and learn it, and that he find a tutor.
accesskb
Hi,
I am a 19 year old student from Canada. I have been given a conditional admission to an Architecture program at a local university. The problem is I need to complete the grade 12 (pre-university) Algebra and Geometry course, with a grade of 75+ in about 4 weeks. As you know may know, all secondary schools are currently closed for summer holidays, so the only course available for me to take is the pre-university course offered by the university. It's a distance education course where I have to go through the course myself without any teacher's help and sit to write one exam in the end that's worth 100% of the mark. I have never been good at math and haven't done any math for half a year now.
Do you all think it's actually possible to finish an entire course in a month and get 75+? I'd be very greatful if you could give me some advice as to how to study all the material. I just took a look at the text I received and there seems to be so much formulas to remember. So, should I study chapter by chapter and do all problems? or should I just read through the book to get an idea first, memorize the formulas before attempting the problems?
Please help me ... :( I'm scared to death that I may be denied admission. Appreciate all your kind help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you can do it. You need to learn how to focus your mind upon the task at hand. After every problem, ask yourself what could have gone wrong, what silly mistakes could you have made which you'll regreat later? Find them, if any and correct them. I suggest doing twice or even three times the assigned material so you'll find the exam a breeze. Best of luck.

Don't worry too much about memorization. If you understand concepts memorization should be easy. You may need to remember a few formulas, but analize the material to determine which are important and which are either unimportant or obvious. Four weeks is a long time, even though others spend 2 years on this material you have several advantages you will need to use singular focus, specific goals, and efficient approch. Make a list of all the material. Learn all of it. Understand it. Practice practice practice.

accesskb said:
Hi,
I just took a look at the text I received and there seems to be so much formulas to remember. So, should I study chapter by chapter and do all problems? or should I just read through the book to get an idea first, memorize the formulas before attempting the problems?

It will probably be helpful to you to not just "memorize the formulas". That's the way I used to study for math in the beginning of high school, and I hated it. If you take the time to read the proofs and understand where all these formulas are coming from you'll be much more likely to remember all of the important ideas because they will make sense to you. You will also be able to solve more problems. For example, if the book gives you a procedure to find "a" given "b", and on the test they ask for "b" given "a", you'll be stuck if you just remember a mechanical procedure, but you'll have a much better chance of figuring it out if you understand the reasoning. And finally, you may actually find that you enjoy it.

try to find a tutor. and always write a crib sheet...this way you have all the formulas(or attmpt to) on one or two sheets(so you don't have to flip thorugh so much)...cue cards may be of value if you have that type of studying habit...read the later chapters just to see the ideas that you may be looking at but always do all the questions till your comfortable then move on.

Maths doesn't need memorization as much as it needs practice...I'm sure u won't find any difficulties, it's something u certainly can do...

1. How can I improve my math skills quickly?

The best way to improve your math skills quickly is to practice regularly. Set aside dedicated study time and work through practice problems or review material. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with specific concepts.

2. What are some tips for studying math effectively?

Some tips for studying math effectively include breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, using visual aids or diagrams to understand concepts, and actively engaging with the material by practicing problems and explaining concepts to others.

3. How can I overcome math anxiety?

To overcome math anxiety, it's important to identify and address the root cause of your anxiety. This may involve seeking help from a counselor or therapist. You can also try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or positive self-talk to calm your nerves before tackling math problems.

4. What resources are available for math help?

There are many resources available for math help, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and educational websites. You can also seek help from a tutor, your teacher, or a study group to clarify any confusion or receive personalized assistance.

5. How can I apply math skills in real-life situations?

Math skills are used in many real-life situations, such as budgeting, cooking, and planning. To apply math skills in real life, try to connect the concepts you learn in class to everyday situations and practice using them in practical scenarios to improve your understanding and application of math.