Create Nanomachines at Home: Possible? Examples

• Thread starter cronodragon
  • Start date
In summary: So it is possible to create something nano (nanocircuits, nanomachines, etc) at home, but it is not easy and you need special equipment.
cronodragon
Is it possible to create something nano (nanocircuits, nanomachines, etc) at home? Why or why not? Examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
cronodragon said:
Is it possible to create something nano (nanocircuits, nanomachines, etc) at home? Why or why not? Examples?

You DO know, of course, that you cannot see with your eyes something that is of a nano-scale size, don't you? Now unless you have an electron microscope handy in your home, how are you to create such things and know you have created them when you can't see it?

Zz.

Last edited:
cronodragon said:
:smile: No it is not, because they are too small

The only thing you can do is simulate their behaviour on pc's. as a matter of fact, this way of working is becoming more important because simulations avoid scientists from having to build such objects at each processing step...Well, i am being a bit naive here, but nevertheless it is close to the general truth

http://www.imec.be/ovinter/static_research/research.shtml

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, my cells do it all the time.

Where can I find a nano-simulator?

cronodragon said:
Where can I find a nano-simulator?

what exactly do you mean by nano simulator ?

marlon

I guess I can suggest you how to produce a nano shaker. Get a drop of water and put it on a solid marble bench of you kitchen. Now start singing somewhat near the drop one note, near 440 Hz. It is done. By adjusting your distance to the drop you can manage to put the drop to vibrate with nano scale amplitudes.

Not expecting to be taken seriously,

Sincerely yours

DaTario

cronodragon said:

There are functions that can be used to manipulate 'unseen'<> 'somethings'.

Here for instance:http://www.npl.co.uk/materials/functional/definitions.html

you can learn about definations of what can be real.

You need structures, nano-anythings are real things, manipulated into forming repeating 'uncomplex' structure's.

I do not envisige a nano 'F.A.CUP' be played out with a football made of this:

http://enews.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/backyball-transistor.html

But who knows :biggrin:

Last edited:
i don't know if previous posters are aware of this, but solvent-based systems are used to make nanoparticles as well...these are your typicalchemistry type of setup, where temperature, reaction time, and solvation are carefully controlled. not a big deal, and definitely doable in someone's garage.

visualizing them, however, yes you would need something like an SEM or ideally an AFM. SEMs these days are cheap - i saw one on ebay once for $3,000.

1. Can nanomachines be created at home?

Yes, it is possible to create nanomachines at home, but it requires advanced knowledge and specialized equipment.

2. What materials are needed to create nanomachines at home?

The materials needed to create nanomachines at home include nanomaterials, such as carbon nanotubes or gold nanoparticles, as well as tools for manipulating and assembling these materials, such as electron microscopes and atomic force microscopes.

3. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when creating nanomachines at home?

Yes, safety precautions should be taken when creating nanomachines at home. Nanomaterials can be hazardous if not handled properly, so it is important to wear protective gear and work in a well-ventilated area.

4. Are there any examples of nanomachines that have been successfully created at home?

Yes, there have been some examples of nanomachines created at home by DIY scientists, such as nanoscale robots made from DNA strands and nanobots that can manipulate individual atoms.

5. What are the potential applications of creating nanomachines at home?

The potential applications of creating nanomachines at home are vast, including advancements in medicine, energy production, and materials science. Nanomachines could be used for targeted drug delivery, improving solar energy efficiency, and creating stronger and lighter materials.