Calculus Summer Assignments

In summary, the student has been stuck on two problems and is seeking help. The first problem can be solved by completing the square, and the second problem can be solved by modifying a sin wave to have those intercepts.
hotrocks007
I have a summer calc assignment due tomorrow, and I've been stuck on these two problems. Help is appreciated!

Solve for y:
x^2 + y^2 + 4x - 6y +12=0
I tried this:
x^2 + 4x + 12 = -y(y-6)
But I don't think that was correct. THe left side wont' factor, and I don't htink that is the right way to approach it.

I also tried to complete the square:
y^2 - 6y = -x^2 - 4x - 12
y^2 - 6y + 9 = -x^2 -4x -12 +9
(y-3)^2 = -x^2 - 4x - 3
But I was not sure how to take the square root of the right side.

Also, this problem was to create an equation whose graph has intercepts at (-5,0), (0,0), and (5,0). I tried a sine graph, but it all seems like guess and check, and I cannot get the intercepts at 5 and -5 exactly.

Thanks so much!
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The square root of the right side will most likely not simplify nicely. Completeing the square is the best way in my opinion.

For the second one, I think you can modify a sin wave to have those intercepts, but I would try piecewise for the easiest way out.

Let C = x^2 + 4x + 12,
B = -6
A = 1
Then Ay^2 + By + C = 0. Now use the quadratic root formula to solve for roots.

How can this polynomial have a (0,0) intercept? At (0,0) left side = 12.

hotrocks007 said:
I have a summer calc assignment due tomorrow, and I've been stuck on these two problems. Help is appreciated!

Solve for y:
x^2 + y^2 + 4x - 6y +12=0

Also, this problem was to create an equation whose graph has intercepts at (-5,0), (0,0), and (5,0). I tried a sine graph, but it all seems like guess and check, and I cannot get the intercepts at 5 and -5 exactly.

first one... just complete the square, at least that's what i'd do

the second question:
really simple trick
you want all those points to basically be zero's correct?

thus, -5, 0, and 5 would be zero's of this equation... I'm thinking:

(x+5)(x-5)x

now just distribute, and you got yourself a cubic function that goes through those zeros

"Solve for y:
x^2 + y^2 + 4x - 6y +12=0"

Treat it as a quadratic in y: y2- 6y+ (x2+ 4x+ 12)= 0 thinking of x2+ 4x+ 12 as the constant term. Either complete the square (you will, of course, be left with a square root) or use the quadratic formula with a= 1, b= -6, and c= x2+4x+12.

"Also, this problem was to create an equation whose graph has intercepts at (-5,0), (0,0), and (5,0)."

The equation has 0 values at -5, 0, 5. How about y= (x-(-5))(x-0)(x-5)= x(x-5)(x+5)= x3- 25x ?

1. What is the purpose of a calculus summer assignment?

A calculus summer assignment is designed to help students review and solidify their knowledge of pre-calculus topics before starting a calculus course. It also introduces students to some of the fundamental concepts and skills they will need to succeed in calculus.

2. Is completing a calculus summer assignment necessary?

While completing a calculus summer assignment is not always mandatory, it is highly recommended. The concepts covered in pre-calculus are essential for understanding calculus, and completing the assignment will help students start the course on the right foot.

3. What topics are typically covered in a calculus summer assignment?

A calculus summer assignment usually covers topics such as algebraic operations, functions and their graphs, trigonometry, logarithmic and exponential functions, and basic calculus concepts such as limits and derivatives.

4. How should I approach a calculus summer assignment?

It is best to approach a calculus summer assignment with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Take your time and try to understand the concepts rather than rushing through the problems. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

5. Can I use online resources to complete my calculus summer assignment?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you with your calculus summer assignment. However, it is important to make sure that you are using reliable sources and not simply copying answers without understanding the concepts. It is always best to use online resources as a supplement to your own learning and understanding.