J Baez' The meaning of Einstein's Equations

• Thread starter DaTario
  • Start date
In summary, John Baez discusses the meaning of Einstein's equation in his paper published in the July edition of Am. J. of Phys. He explains the components of the stress-energy tensor and how they represent the flow of momentum in different directions through a point in space-time. He also mentions the importance of understanding pressure as the flow of momentum. Lastly, he suggests a method for proving this statement and encourages readers to refer to his website for further information.
DaTario
J Baez' "The meaning of Einstein's Equations"

Hi All,

I am trying to study the paper of Jonh Baez in the july editon of Am. J. of Phys. on the meaning of Einstein's equation.

At a given point he says:

"The components of [itex]T_{\alpha \beta}[/itex] (stress-energy tensor) say how much momentum in the [itex]\alpha[/itex] direction is flowing in the [itex]\beta[/itex] direction through a given point of space-time, where [itex]\alpha \beta[/itex] = t, x, y, z. The flow of x-momentum in the x-direction is the pressure in the x-direction denoted [itex]P_x[/itex], and similarly for y and z. It takes a while to figure out why pressure is really the flow of momentum, but its eminently worth doing."

Does anybody know how to prove this last statement.

Thank you in advance

DaTario

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the answer, but in his site there is the same information as in the paper I have in hands.

Best Regards

DaTario

DaTario said:
Hi All,

I am trying to study the paper of Jonh Baez in the july editon of Am. J. of Phys. on the meaning of Einstein's equation.

DaTario

It's a bit hard to read your post since you haven't closed the latex tags properly. The latex support was added on to an existing system, so that [.itex] does not close with [.\itex] as one would expect, but rather with [./itex].
(Remove the dots!).

In answer to your question, imaginie a small box with a swarm of particles in it which move back in forth in only the x direction.

The particles will be transporting x momentum in both directions across the box. The stress energy tensor of this box will be represented by the energy density of the particles, plus an additional diagional component which represents the x- pressure.

If you are familar with how tensors transform, start with the stress-energy tensor of a fluid at rest, which is easy (it has only one term, the energy density T_00, or if you prefer T^00).

Then boost it so it consists of a fluid and/or swarm of particles moving in the +x direction.

hint: the transform is [tex]
T^{cd} = T^{ab} L^c{}_a L^d{}_b
[/tex]

where [itex] L^i{}_j[/itex] is the transformation matrix, the same one that you would transform any 4-vector with, i.e.

[tex]
x^b = x^a L^b{}_a
[/itex]

[end hint]

Boost your original tensor again in the opposite direction, so it represents a fluid and/or swarm of particles moving in the -x direction.

Add the two boosted tensors together - you'll get a tensor that represents the situation I described, where particles move in both directions.

DaTario said:
Thank you for the answer, but in his site there is the same information as in the paper I have in hands.

Best Regards

DaTario

I thought it might be a good idea to put it into the hands of the rest of us.

Am. J. of Phys. july edition (printed version) 2005. pg 644.

Thank you for the explanation. It was really enlightening.

Best Regards,

DaTario

1. What are Einstein's equations?

Einstein's equations, also known as the Einstein field equations, are a set of ten equations that make up the cornerstone of Einstein's theory of general relativity. They relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it.

2. Who is J Baez?

J Baez, also known as John Baez, is an American mathematical physicist and professor at the University of California, Riverside. He is known for his contributions to the study of gravity, gauge theory, and quantum mechanics, and for his popular science writing and outreach efforts.

3. What is the significance of J Baez' work on the meaning of Einstein's equations?

J Baez' work on the meaning of Einstein's equations has helped to clarify and deepen our understanding of the physical principles behind Einstein's theory of general relativity. He has also made important connections between general relativity and other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and string theory.

4. How do Einstein's equations relate to everyday life?

Einstein's equations may seem like abstract and complex equations, but they have important implications for our everyday lives. For example, they help us understand the behavior of gravity and the large-scale structure of the universe, and they have practical applications in technologies such as GPS navigation systems.

5. Are Einstein's equations still relevant today?

Absolutely. Einstein's equations continue to be a fundamental tool for understanding the workings of the universe, and they are still being tested and refined by scientists today. They have also inspired new theories and developments in physics, such as the search for a unified theory of quantum gravity.