What events shaped Scottish history in the dark ages?

In summary, during the Dark Ages, the events that shaped Scottish history included MacAlpin's Treason, where Kenneth mac Alpin attacked and defeated the remnants of the Pictish army, leading to his ascension as King of Picts and Scots. There is also mention of Fergus Mor Mac Earca, who is sometimes considered the father of Scotland, and his supposed displacement of a Pictish community from Argyll, which eventually led to the takeover of the Pictish kingdom. However, there is no concrete evidence for this invasion and it is believed that the story may have been distorted for political reasons. It is also noted that archaeological evidence suggests a flux of people from Scotland to Ireland. The reliability of written history from
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What events shaped scotish history in the dark ages ? Dalriada in the Kilmartin
glen seems to have been the royal center.

Science news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacAlpin's_Treason

MacAlpin's Treason, as it is now called, was a murder of the nobles of the Pictish realm of ancient Scotland. Kenneth mac Alpin's Pictish mother was descended from the royal house of Fortrenn, and his great-grand uncle, Alpin Mac Eachaidh, had actually reigned as King of Picts until deposed by Oengus I. It is thus that Kenneth Mac Alpin was one of several nobles with a claim to the crown of Picts and Scots.

The sources for facts of how Kenneth Mac Alpin, the avenging son of the slain Alpin, became King of Picts and Scots are few and suspect. Two such sources, The Prophecy of St. Berchan, and De Instructione Principus note that in 841 Mac Alpin attacked the remnants of the Pictish army and defeated them.

There is to much information on Scotland and Ireland in the dark ages, so i
have started a journal on the kings of these two countries, any good references
would be appreciated.

Is Fergus unhistorical to mention here??
I'm not quite sure when his invasion was..

Would that be
Fergus I of Dalriada, also known as Fergus Mor Mac Earca was king of Dalriada. He reigned from about 500-501. He is sometimes considered the father of Scotland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fergus_I_of_Dalriada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kings_of_Dalriada

http://www.scotlandroyalty.org/scotland.html (watch out for the music on this one - electronic bagpipes - :rolleyes: :grumpy: )

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/rfc/kingsofscotland.htm (this one is quiet)

I have not reviewed the sources for accuracy.

That was the guy I was thinking about..

arildno said:
Is Fergus unhistorical to mention here??
I'm not quite sure when his invasion was..

Around AD500 Fergus Mor Mac Eirc supposedly displaced a Pictish community
from Argyll, which lead to the eventual take over of the Pictish kingdom.
But there is no evidence for this invasion, Bannerman 1974 suggests the
story was distorted in the 10th century for political reasons.

wolram said:
. . . , Bannerman 1974 suggests the
story was distorted in the 10th century for political reasons.
Which raises an interesting point, as well as one of concern. How reliable is the history we read? And at what point - time - does it start becoming murky?

Some of my ancestors go back to the McDonalds of the Highlands, particularly those who feuded with the Campbell's.

When one thinks about it, we are only here now, because our ancestors survived the hundreds or thousands of years of warfare. So many others do not exist based on the death of one person.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Which raises an interesting point, as well as one of concern. How reliable is the history we read? And at what point - time - does it start becoming murky?

Some of my ancestors go back to the McDonalds of the Highlands, particularly those who feuded with the Campbell's.

Just found what i was looking for.

http://www.postroman.info/scotti.html [Broken]

Archaeological evidence suggests that the flux was more from scotland to ireland

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
When one thinks about it, we are only here now, because our ancestors survived the hundreds or thousands of years of warfare. So many others do not exist based on the death of one person.

I do not think the written word from ancient times is reliable, if two or more
sources locate a person in the same place and time all well and good ,so long
as there is no cross contamination, archaeological evidence helps with finds
from the peoples that are suggested to be there at the time.

wolram said:
Just found what i was looking for.

http://www.postroman.info/scotti.html [Broken]

Archaeological evidence suggests that the flux was more from scotland to ireland
Cool site! Good show, old chap!

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
I do not think the written word from ancient times is reliable, if two or more
sources locate a person in the same place and time all well and good ,so long
as there is no cross contamination, archaeological evidence helps with finds
from the peoples that are suggested to be there at the time.
One of my aunts went through old church records and grave markers - back to the 1600's at least, possibly into the 1500's. I really need to get her records.

What events shaped Scottish history in the dark ages?

The dark ages in Scottish history refer to the period between the end of the Roman occupation in the 5th century and the beginning of the medieval period in the 11th century. During this time, Scotland underwent significant changes and faced various challenges that shaped its history. Here are five frequently asked questions about the events that took place during this period.

1. What impact did the Roman withdrawal have on Scotland?

The Roman withdrawal from Scotland in the 5th century marked the end of their occupation and influence in the region. This led to a power vacuum, and various tribal groups, including the Picts and the Gaels, began to emerge and compete for control. This period also saw the rise of Christianity in Scotland, as the Roman Catholic Church attempted to fill the void left by the Romans.

2. Who were the Picts and how did they shape Scottish history?

The Picts were a confederation of Celtic-speaking tribes that inhabited northern and eastern Scotland during the dark ages. They were known for their unique language, art, and military prowess. The Picts played a significant role in shaping Scottish history by establishing a powerful kingdom that resisted various invasions, including those by the Romans and the Anglo-Saxons.

3. How did the Norse invasions impact Scotland?

The Norse, a seafaring people from Scandinavia, began raiding Scotland in the 8th century and eventually established settlements in the northern and western isles. These invasions led to the formation of the Kingdom of the Isles, which had a significant influence on Scottish culture and society. The Norse also introduced new technologies and trade networks, which contributed to Scotland's economic growth.

4. What role did the Scottish kings play in shaping the nation during the dark ages?

Throughout the dark ages, Scottish kings were constantly vying for power and control over the region. Some notable rulers include Kenneth MacAlpin, who united the Picts and the Gaels to form the Kingdom of Alba, and Macbeth, who became the last Celtic king of Scotland. The actions and decisions of these rulers played a crucial role in shaping the political landscape and culture of Scotland.

5. How did the Battle of Brunanburh impact Scottish history?

The Battle of Brunanburh, which took place in 937, was a pivotal moment in Scottish history. It was fought between the Scottish king, Constantine II, and the English king, Athelstan, and resulted in a decisive victory for the English. This battle solidified England's control over the southern parts of Scotland and marked the beginning of a long-standing rivalry between the two nations.