Book recommendations (Got any?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a search for recommendations on college physics books. The person is not satisfied with their current book and is looking for something that better suits their learning style. Suggestions are given, including "An Introduction To Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Tipler. It is also mentioned to stay away from books by Serway.
fusebox13
I was wondering if any of you physics guru's have any good recommendations for college physics books. I'm taking my first semester of calc based physics, and the book required for my class is this one Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of this book. I especially don't like the lack clear derivations for the different physics concepts. I'm a huge book learner, and I'd like to find a good book that clearly and accurately outlines the different physics concepts and the math behind it. I was wondering if there was a better book than this one. Not that my current textbook is bad, it just doesn't suit my learning style.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fusebox,

Start with "An Introduction To Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow. Truly top notch, the perfect introductory mechanics book in my opinion.

fusebox13 said:
I was wondering if any of you physics guru's have any good recommendations for college physics books. I'm taking my first semester of calc based physics, and the book required for my class is this one Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of this book. I especially don't like the lack clear derivations for the different physics concepts. I'm a huge book learner, and I'd like to find a good book that clearly and accurately outlines the different physics concepts and the math behind it. I was wondering if there was a better book than this one. Not that my current textbook is bad, it just doesn't suit my learning style.
Any suggestions?
Hahah, funny... that's probably my favourite physics book to date..
Anyway, I've heard "University Physics" by Young is alright, then again the reviews aren't too good...
I'd just say, stay away from any Serway books. (His book College Physics has taught me never to trust his texts ever again...)
"Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Tipler is pretty good by the looks of it.. and our teacher's going to adapt it for our Calc-based physics class.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the benefits of reading books?

Reading books has numerous benefits, including improving cognitive function, reducing stress, and increasing empathy and understanding of different perspectives. It can also expand vocabulary and improve critical thinking skills.

How do I find the right book for me?

There are a few ways to find the right book, including browsing bookstores or online retailers, getting recommendations from friends or book clubs, or using websites or apps that suggest books based on your preferences and reading history.

What genres should I explore?

The genre of books you should explore depends on your personal interests, but it's always a good idea to step out of your comfort zone and try new genres. Some popular genres include fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, and fantasy.

Do you have any tips for choosing a good book?

Some tips for choosing a good book include reading reviews, checking out the author's other works, and reading a sample or preview of the book. You can also ask for recommendations from knowledgeable booksellers or librarians.

How can I make time for reading?

To make time for reading, try to incorporate it into your daily routine, such as reading before bed or during your lunch break. You can also set a goal to read a certain number of pages or chapters per day or week. Audiobooks are also a great option for multitasking and fitting in more reading time.