Solve Atmospheric Pressure: Physics AP Edition

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the pressure in a container based on the density of the fluid and the pressure exerted by the atmosphere. The book used for the homework is not detailed enough and only provides a few examples. The hint given is to consider the weight of the fluid and the atmosphere above a certain level, and to balance it with the pressure of the fluid at that level. The suggested method is to multiply the depth, density, and gravitational acceleration to find the weight of the fluid, and to consider the cross-sectional area and pressure exerted by the atmosphere as balancing forces.
airforce840
This is a problem i have in my homework and i want to learn how to do these and get them right so please don't just give me an answer lol

The desity of the fluid in a tube is 850 kg/m cubic. THe pressure exerted by the atmospher is 1.013x10^5 Pa. What is the pressure P in the container?

I hate the book we are using because i don't think it gets too detailed on what we should do.. it gives 3 examples and none of them are like it is on the problem set..

its Physics An incremental Development SAXON and its our AP Physics book.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: At any level in the fluid, the fluid supports the weight of all the fluid directly above it - plus the weight of the all the atmosphere directly above it.

so how would i set this problem up? and thanks for the hint.. i didnt learn that in class so i added it to my personal notes :smile:

the way i think I am supposed to set this up is distance .21 m times 1.012x1065 x 850 kg/m cubic .. I am thinking the density may be throwing me off though..

At depth D, the weight of the fluid above that level is [itex]\rho A D g[/itex] where A is the cross sectional area of the column and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the mass density of the fluid. The force bearing downward by the atmosphere is [itex]P_A \times A[/itex]. Those two forces are balanced by the pressure of the fluid at depth D: [itex]P_f \times A[/itex].

You should be able to work it out from there! :)

What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a given surface. It is caused by the weight of air molecules and is measured in units of pressure such as Pascals (Pa) or millibars (mb).

How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure can be measured using instruments such as barometers or manometers. Barometers measure the pressure in units of millibars, while manometers measure the pressure in units of inches of mercury (inHg) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

How does altitude affect atmospheric pressure?

As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above to create the force of atmospheric pressure. For every 1000 meters increase in altitude, atmospheric pressure decreases by approximately 10%. This can cause changes in weather patterns and can also affect the human body at high altitudes.

What is the relationship between temperature and atmospheric pressure?

As temperature increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because warm air molecules have more energy and are able to spread out, resulting in lower pressure. Conversely, cold air molecules are closer together and result in higher pressure. This relationship is known as the ideal gas law and is crucial in understanding weather patterns and climate change.

How does atmospheric pressure impact weather?

Atmospheric pressure plays a significant role in determining weather patterns. Areas of high pressure usually indicate clear, sunny weather, while areas of low pressure often bring clouds and precipitation. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also signal the arrival of storms or other extreme weather events. Meteorologists use atmospheric pressure readings to make predictions about future weather conditions.